What kind of tortoise???

Status
Not open for further replies.

arpooch

5 Year Member
Hello Everybody,

I've always had box turtles and I am thinking about getting a tortoise. I met a friend's tortoise that they said was like 12-14 pounds and I absoulutely fell in love with it. Does anyone one know at tortoise that would be in that size range? I would go up to 50 pounds. I would keep it inside during the winter months and during the night and during the summer I would let it walk in my backyard. (I have a secure gated in backyard.) Thanks so much!

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Cadillac, Michigan
Where are you located, and what are your summers like?

Off the top of my head I would say Leopard or Redfoot, but knowing your climate would make it easier.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello and welcome.

Did they say it was full grown?

It could be a young sulcata as they are very common. Could be a California Desert Tortoise, Redfoot, yellowfoot, or leopard. There are a few other possibilities, but these are the most common.

arpooch

5 Year Member
I live in the chicagoland area so it kind of varies. Some days it can be 90 degrees and some days it can be 70.

hmmmmmm...What do you think would be the best for my climate and would fit in my size range?

I think it was a redfoot tortoise. How many pounds do they get up to?

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
Welcome to the forum!

Before you seriously consider keeping a large tortoise (especially Sulcata) indoors much of the year, I think you need more information. Not to say it can't be done (it can), but I personally think it shouldn't be done. Large torts can cause a lot of damage to walls and such from being penned up after they've had a taste of freedom outdoors. They tend to pace and generally show signs of unhappiness when penned up indoors after being outdoors with the big yard. It takes a lot of money to feed, heat, and provide for a large tortoise in winter.

A smaller tortoise such as a Russian, Hermanns, or Greek has a ton of personality in a smaller package.

Redfoots get up to 14 inches long (not sure what weight). They are more well-suited to the indoors because they have high humidity requirements, don't get huge, and don't bask or need UVB as they get it from their diets (you keep them more one temperature--in the 80s). They don't graze on weeds and such like a Sulcata or whatever--you'd feed greens plus a little fruit and a protein source. You would need to provide an enclosure in the realm of 20-30 sq ft for an adult (smaller to start out if you get a younger tort, increasing the size as it grows--its best to try and find one about a year old instead of a hatchling, as hatchlings are very fragile and as a new tort owner you will have some learning to do despite how much you research).

What kind of basement/area are you dealing with? As long as you can heat it well enough, a Redfoot is a very good basement tortoise. You could take it outside when the weather is a good temp, providing a lot of shade (they live in the rain forest so think of how much ground cover is there). Remember that tortoises are a commitment that outlives you!

arpooch

5 Year Member
How about yellowfoots? Are they okay with the basement? What kind of care do they require?

And If you have a redfoot, should you supply them with some kind of a shelter? Like a doghouse?

tglazie

10 Year Member!
San Antonio, TX
I would recommend russians as a good starter tortoise. They should adapt well to the Chicago climate, and you can hibernate them in the winter time in a modified refrigerator, saving on heating and feeding costs for a month or two in winter.

Some yellowfoots get rather large and can be picky feeders without constant access to water. I've also found them to be comparatively shy, though there are exceptions. Red foots are very friendly tortoises, much more bold than yellowfoots, and they don't get as big. They are also hardier, voraciously feeding under a wider variety of environmental conditions.

I personally am against keeping tortoises indoors, but I live in a climate (South Texas) that accommodates my hard line thinking. The only indoor accommodations I have for my torts are a series of tortoise tubs with supplemental heating inside my dining room. I transfer them to another room with spot lamps and infrared bulbs for feeding should they be kept indoors over a prolonged period. Whenever the sun shines, I try to give my tropical tortoises time in the sun while the Testudos sleep the winter out.

T.G.

arpooch

5 Year Member
Thanks so much for all of the feedback. If I were to get a Red-foot, what is the best substrate I can give it in a turtle table?

Status
Not open for further replies.