What is this white patch?

PerezG94

Location (City and/or State)
California
Hey everyone any help appreciated this little guy was recently dumped infront property hes been eating well and is extremely active however he’s developed this white patch above one of his eyes. Any ideas?IMG_5346.jpegIMG_5348.jpegIMG_5347.jpeg

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello and welcome!

That is old dirty scales flaking off and the new ones underneath now showing.

Be aware that almost all of the care advice online and from pet stores is all wrong. Here is the correct care info:

And more general info here:

Please take a few minutes to read both to make sure you have received the correct care info. The thread is for people new to the forum, not necessarily new to tortoises.

PerezG94

California
Hello and welcome!

That is old dirty scales flaking off and the new ones underneath now showing.

Be aware that almost all of the care advice online and from pet stores is all wrong. Here is the correct care info:

And more general info here:

Please take a few minutes to read both to make sure you have received the correct care info. The thread is for people new to the forum, not necessarily new to tortoises.
Thank you tom! I must say there is so much great info here I have been scouring the forums and soaking up as much as I can! We were sad that he was dumped (literally in a shoe box) we almost ran him over with our ranger as we were checking gates a couple of days ago thank god I stopped to pick up what I thought was trash. We have an adult sulcata that is visible from the front of our property so I’m assuming a passerby saw our large Voldetort and abandoned him here hoping he’d have a better home but we were definitely surprised!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Thank you tom! I must say there is so much great info here I have been scouring the forums and soaking up as much as I can! We were sad that he was dumped (literally in a shoe box) we almost ran him over with our ranger as we were checking gates a couple of days ago thank god I stopped to pick up what I thought was trash. We have an adult sulcata that is visible from the front of our property so I’m assuming a passerby saw our large Voldetort and abandoned him here hoping he’d have a better home but we were definitely surprised!
I wonder if they thought it was an escaped baby since they saw an adult, and were trying to return it to you? I've been surprised by how ignorant some people are about animals and reproduction lately. I hope they thought the baby belonged to you and were trying to do the right thing by containing it and "returning" it. We may never know, but I'm glad the baby is in good hands that will care for it!

PerezG94

California
I wonder if they thought it was an escaped baby since they saw an adult, and were trying to return it to you? I've been surprised by how ignorant some people are about animals and reproduction lately. I hope they thought the baby belonged to you and were trying to do the right thing by containing it and "returning" it. We may never know, but I'm glad the baby is in good hands that will care for it!
Unfortunately where we live, our selves and our neighbors have had quite a few “drop offs” over the years from kittens and puppies to unbelievably a communal of leopard geckos in a critter keeper at my neighbors last year. I hope their intentions were warm but I’d believe it be the latter. BUT all is well the little guy is welcome and will have his own space away from our other tort when he’s grown enough to venture the great out doors! Thanks for your time!