What do you feed your sulcata?? (help)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shelllover

5 Year Member
I am confused as to what to feed my sulcata. I understand they need grasses weeds and flowers but where do I get these things?? It would be very helpful if you all could tell me what you feed your Sulcata on a daily basis and where you get it from. Thanks!

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Kingman, Arizona
Alot of the answer to your question has to do with age, and how are you housing it.
For instance, I feed my hatchling primarily broad leaf weeds with Mazuri tortoise chow added once a week. The Mazuri is soaked in water completely before being offered. If dandelion flowers are available, I'll feed them when I can. Otherwise, it's the entire weed.
As they get older, their diet changes to one of grasses and hay. With maybe 25% or less broadleaf greens.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
How old and how big is your sulcata? Where do you live? Do you have a yard?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
My sulcata just eats the grass that is growing in his pen. I will occasionally cut a couple branches off the mulberry tree and toss them in his pen.

If you can build an outdoor pen for your tortoise it is very easy to take care of them. I never have to feed my desert tortoises, texas tortoises, sulcata, leopards or russians. All I have to do is water the weeds and grass.

Shelllover

5 Year Member
Sorry I left out the details. He is about 3 months old and about 3 1/2 inches long. I live in Arizona (The very hot, dry region). He is currently in an outdoor habitat in a baby pool. I have a yard but it is not fit for a small one like him to roam around in.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Ahh. Well you will have a tough time growing anything but cactus right now in AZ. Look for mulberry trees. Those are all over the place there. I think grape vines might survive too. You can try to grow your own grass in semi shady spots in flats too.

Others good items would be Mazuri tortoise chow, ZooMed grassland tortoise food, and from the grocery store look for endive, escarole, cilantro, carrot tops, turnip, collard and mustard greens, spring mix and you can mix in some lettuces too. Not too many good weeds are going to survive there this time of year, but look for dandelions, plantain and sow thistle in irrigated yards.

Status
Not open for further replies.