What do I need?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TurtleBoss

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
New Bedford MA
Hi everyone I would like to know a list of everything I will need to setup a incubator. So far I have ordered the little giant still air incubator and vermiculite and need to know what else I need because I had one of my big Russian tortoises lay unexpectedly and do not want to run into this again and want to be ready. Thanks in advance for any info

Greg T

10 Year Member!
League City, TX
You have most of it already. I have a little giant model and it has worked perfectly for me. You'll want to have two thermometers in there for comparison and that is about it. There are many ways to keep the eggs inside. I found it easiest to take the screens out and put vermiculite around the edges. Wet it first at about a 50/50 mixture with water. I put the eggs around the outside, then keep water in the interior spaces. Check it occasionally, pour new water in the middle and I also pour a small amount around the outside to keep the vermiculite moist. Others keep their eggs in a container and just put that inside.

Good luck, it is amazing to watch them hatch out!

TurtleBoss

5 Year Member
New Bedford MA
Greg T said:
You have most of it already. I have a little giant model and it has worked perfectly for me. You'll want to have two thermometers in there for comparison and that is about it. There are many ways to keep the eggs inside. I found it easiest to take the screens out and put vermiculite around the edges. Wet it first at about a 50/50 mixture with water. I put the eggs around the outside, then keep water in the interior spaces. Check it occasionally, pour new water in the middle and I also pour a small amount around the outside to keep the vermiculite moist. Others keep their eggs in a container and just put that inside.

Good luck, it is amazing to watch them hatch out!

Thank you for the reply.

Status
Not open for further replies.