What are signs of over heating?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Marquegirl86

5 Year Member
My daughter left our two 8 month old sulcatas outside in the Phoenix 93 degree sun and when she remembered to bring them in they were what could only be described as gasping....mouths opening and closing blowing bubbles. I immediately put them in water to soak. They have been in water now for about 15 mins and have calmed down no longer blowing bubble out of their mouths....any other suggestions? Please all advice is appreciated .

erica anne

5 Year Member
Did they have any shade available to them? I don't know about overheating but shade should always be available...especially in this desert sun. Soaking them was probably the right move.

Marquegirl86

5 Year Member
No, where she had them there was no shade. They appear to be fine now, both sleeping in there tortoise hut. Talk about scary. I will be keeping a closer eye on things.

GeoTerraTestudo

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Broomfield, Colorado
Those were definitely signs of overheating. Tortoises and box turtles can't sweat, so instead they just release saliva, which evaporates the way our sweat does to cool the body. Of course, there's a limit to how effective that can be. I also think you did the right thing by taking them out of that situation and putting them in cool water to soak. Now you know how important shade is.

RV's mom

10 Year Member!
Phoenix, arizona
RV stays in the back yard, here in S Phoenix..(she's too big for indoors - as your torts get bigger, you'll have to consider a few things). We have at least 5 areas (not counting the shaded 'patio' that faces south) providing shade - all from trees. The trees receive a good soaking, rotating on a weekly basis, so there is some coolness to the ground.... We also have an old piece of plywood propped up so she can go underneath to get out of the sun. Defiantly not a good idea to leave your torts without shade in phoenix - this hell we call home. RV receives daily soaks and always has 2 water dishes available for drinking. Also to encourage the bermuda to grow, we water the 'pasture' also on a weekly basis. This also provides some coolness. But nothing beats shade and water.. Shade ~ I tried working in the side yard yesterday in the heat/sun.. wasn't too awfully bad in the shade, but in the sun? I couldn't stand it...... As I check on RV, she's quit prowling/foraging and is in the shade, the last tree we watered...

pictures to follow...
:tort:

future food (start thinking now, how you're going to feed 2 sulcatas in the winter months...)
DSCN5752.jpg

natural shade, with water bowl
shade2.jpg

plywood shelter
shade.jpg

Over 12 years of learning on the job...

RV sends her warmest regards...
lettucewrap1.jpg

Dizisdalife

10 Year Member!
California
These past two days in San Diego has been hot. Not the 100 degrees of Phoenix, but still hot. Chuck has limited his perimiter pacing to shady areas only. He has been basking in a sunny spot every afternoon about 4 pm for half an hour, but not when the temp is above 90. Strictly shade.

bigred

10 Year Member!
Southern California
Foaming or bubbling out the mouth is a sure sign of overheating. Plants help to cool down an area and if you spray them down with the hose it helps even more

Marquegirl86

5 Year Member
Both of my babies are doing very well! It seems my instinct of putting them in cool water was a good idea. Both are back to normal!

Chinque

5 Year Member
Florida
Bubbling at the mouth can be a sign of overheating. It happened to mine yesterday when I took her outside... I got SO worried and started freaking out, calling my mom, calling the Vivarium, posting a thread

GeoTerraTestudo

5 Year Member
Broomfield, Colorado
Marquegirl86 said:
Both of my babies are doing very well! It seems my instinct of putting them in cool water was a good idea. Both are back to normal!

Glad to hear it. Very lucky. Now you know for next time! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.