Ways to remove bark from an oak log?

Pastel Tortie

Location (City and/or State)
North Florida
One of my coworkers had some trees trees come down in her yard when hurricane Michael came through, and she was kind enough to give me an oak log from the cleanup.

The oak log is about 3 inches in diameter and less than 36 inches long. I want to remove the bark from it to put it in an indoor bearded dragon enclosure.

Any thoughts, experience, or suggestions to share?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
If you wait long enough, it will come off on its own. But it curls up as it dries.

Len B

10 Year Member!
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
It can be sanded smooth using an orbital or belt sander. Start with a rough grit paper to remove what you want and then use a finer grit to get it as smooth as you want. If you don't have a sander they can be rented from a tool rental store. Or maybe ask your friends if someone has one you could borrow.

Pastel Tortie

North Florida
It can be sanded smooth using an orbital or belt sander. Start with a rough grit paper to remove what you want and then use a finer grit to get it as smooth as you want. If you don't have a sander they can be rented from a tool rental store. Or maybe ask your friends if someone has one you could borrow.
I'll ask my dad about a sander... He has a number of tools and gadgets that come in handy. :D

Pastel Tortie

North Florida
I had kind of been wondering if there was anything I could do to pre-treat the log to make it easier to remove bark... Like soaking it or something, or soaking it then setting it out in the sun to dry.

It's early November now, but I'm in North Florida. Freeze treatment wouldn't be feasible, but there are still some sunny days...just less hot and less overly humid.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
The bark comes off naturally as the wood dries out, so maybe sitting the log in the sun, or using your hair drier on it?????

Pastel Tortie

North Florida
Well, I do want him to have traction, but I don't want him to get splinters or anything. I know that probably sounds silly. He has some resin 3-D branches (from Petsmart) in his enclosure now, but he is rapidly outgrowing them. He doesn't often lift his torso or abdomen off the surface of the branches when he positions or repositions himself.

Lately, he's cycling through a full shed about every 3 to 4 weeks. One week will be parts of the head (lips, tip of nose, chin), the next week will be the body, and the legs and "sleeves" the week after that.

I have a couple pictures of the oak log on my phone. They aren't great pictures, but maybe they will show more detail.
WP_20181024_13_25_43_Pro.jpg
WP_20181024_13_25_48_Pro.jpg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Oh man. . . that's a great log for a lizard. I wouldn't change a thing about it. There are no splinters in that bark.

Pastel Tortie

North Florida
Oh man. . . that's a great log for a lizard. I wouldn't change a thing about it. There are no splinters in that bark.
Do you think the lichen and all would be okay? I have no idea if our bearded dragon would be inclined to munch on it, or not.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I like the idea of having lichen on the log. I really doubt it would be harmful, because lichen grows on trees where the lizards live in the wild, but I have no way of knowing this for sure.