Vita D 1000 iu

Tortuthetort

Location (City and/or State)
Dubai
After going through this post. I've decided to give some Vita D 1000 IU pellets to my 4 y/o female hermann.
I mix one pellet in 100 ml water and dip the leaves in the solution before feeding it to the the tort.
One pellet solution usually lasts three days.

My tort doesn't like Calcidust, she doesn't eat anything with calcidust sprinkled on it. I hope these Vita D pellets won't cause any side effects?
It also has an economical advantage as me and my tort can use the same supplement, just in different quantities.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
We don't know what that is. If it is a D3 supplement, I would recommend you not use it. It is easy to overdose a tortoise with human grade D3 supplementation. If your tortoise get sunshine and has a calcium rich diet, then you don't need D3 supplementation.

If your tortoise won't eat the reptile calcium powder it is probably because you are using too much. Strat with just a tiny tiny amount every other day and mix it in thoroughly. There should be so little of it, that you can't hardly tell it is there. Keep that up for weeks and don't worry about it if your tortoise decides to skip a few meals. It will eat it when it gets hungry. A hungry tortoise is not a picky tortoise.

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth
After going through this post. I've decided to give some Vita D 1000 IU pellets to my 4 y/o female hermann.
I mix one pellet in 100 ml water and dip the leaves in the solution before feeding it to the the tort.

My tort doesn't like Calcidust, she doesn't eat anything with calcidust sprinkled on it. I hope these Vita D pellets won't cause any side effects?
It also has an economical advantage as me and my tort can use the same supplement, just in different quantities.

How much does she weigh?

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth
~1.25 kgs

Is there a reason you think you need to supplement?

The amount you're using (assume 333 IU per day) is towards the lower end of the target range in Mark's thread you linked. I don't think there would be any side effects; Vit D is hard to accidently overdose. Going off of the numbers in Mark's thread, you would have to use 5+ of the 1000 IU pellets everyday, for a period of time.

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)

I much prefer natural, Plant-based calcium as much as possible. Grape leaves, mulberry leaves, and opuntia cactus pads are great sources of calcium. I also use Cactus flour as the calcium additive I sprinkle on lower calcium containing foods to bring the calcium level up. Cactus flour is an excellent source of calcium and in a chemical form a tortoise's body can more readily use. It is also readily accepted by all tortoises I have. Why sprinkle on a powdered calcium carbonate when you can use a powdered opuntia-based calcium?

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
I much prefer natural, Plant-based calcium as much as possible. Grape leaves, mulberry leaves, and opuntia cactus pads are great sources of calcium. I also use Cactus flour as the calcium additive I sprinkle on lower calcium containing foods to bring the calcium level up. Cactus flour is an excellent source of calcium and in a chemical form a tortoise's body can more readily use. It is also readily accepted by all tortoises I have. Why sprinkle on a powdered calcium carbonate when you can use a powdered opuntia-based calcium?
Where do you get it? That's exactly what I've been wanting for Sapphire. I think he would be more inclined to accept it being a vegan and all.

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
Where do you get it? That's exactly what I've been wanting for Sapphire. I think he would be more inclined to accept it being a vegan and all.
The cactus flour.

Tortuthetort

Dubai
Is there a reason you think you need to supplement?

The amount you're using (assume 333 IU per day) is towards the lower end of the target range in Mark's thread you linked. I don't think there would be any side effects; Vit D is hard to accidently overdose. Going off of the numbers in Mark's thread, you would have to use 5+ of the 1000 IU pellets everyday, for a period of time.
I was informed in a prev thread that my tort is pyramiding badly, ever since then I've been giving her calcidust.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Your tortoise isn't a vegan. They will opportunistically eat meat, insects and other protein sources given the chance.

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
Your tortoise isn't a vegan. They will opportunistically eat meat, insects and other protein sources given the chance.
So Russians aren't vegan? I've spent many hours watching him eat. He sniffs every single leaf first and I assumed that's why. He'll pass up great looking dandelion leaves or any other plant until he finds something he wants and then devours it... Ok something new to think about 🙃

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
Kapidolo Farms
After I thought about it I kinda figured that's what you would say 😊. Thank you so much for answering. I've been considering a plant based calcium for him for a long time. It just seems to be better than ingesting rock.