UV Solarmeter: am I doing it wrong?

LeonardTheTortoise

Location (City and/or State)
Alabama
First time testing UV lighting for my sulcata tortoise with a Solarmeter 6.5R. Scale is 0-7.

While testing the brand new T5 bulb I ordered (below), the meter isn't even hitting 1.0 just a couple feet directly under the light. Is that right?

IMG_20231018_095615679_HDR.jpg

I get a reading of 5.0 when I point it directly at the sun outside (at noon today, sunny, in North Alabama, US, in October).

I'm seeing that sulcatas maybe need a UV meter reading of at least 3 for their basking spot?

I set my sulcata tortoise Leonard up in a 13ftx8ft heated room inside each Winter (he spends Summers outside). I'd like to know that at least his basking spot is giving him enough light.
IMG_20230922_095701403_HDR~4.jpg
(my big, sweet boy 🥰 will miss his Summertime burrow and 2-acre pasture while he's inside over Winter 🥶)

Solarmeter 6.5R:

New Zoo Med ReptiSun T5 HO High Output Reptile Terrarium Hood + bulb:

-Mom of Leonard

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
Disclaimer: Forgive me, if I'm wrong, I'm only the beginner in tortoises.

This hood comes with a free 5.0 Reptisun lamp, targeted for more shade-loving reptiles. At 2 feet such a low UV level is somewhat expected. ZooMed have a distance/UVI chart on their site (Link), which is barely usable but you can get approximate UVI levels there. Reptisun 10.0 would suit sulcatas better (at least, that what Tom and experienced breeders recommend).

Considering measurement distance, you should measure height from lamp to "imaginary tortoise" skin.

No doubt, that the natural sun provides much higher UV levels and 15 minutes under the sun roughly translate into 2-3 hours a day under the lamp.

P.S. - fantastic photo!

LeonardTheTortoise

Alabama

This hood comes with a free 5.0 Reptisun lamp, targeted for more shade-loving reptiles. At 2 feet such a low UV level is somewhat expected. ZooMed have a distance/UVI chart on their site (Link), which is barely usable but you can get approximate UVI levels there. Reptisun 10.0 would suit sulcatas better (at least, that what Tom and experienced breeders recommend).

Considering measurement distance, you should measure height from lamp to "imaginary tortoise" skin.

No doubt, that the natural sun provides much higher UV levels and 15 minutes under the sun roughly translate into 2-3 hours a day under the lamp.

P.S. - fantastic photo!
Ohhh so the bulb that comes with this hood isn't suited for us. So we're better off with this one?:

Zoo Med ReptiSun 10.0 UVB T5 HO Reptile Terrarium Lamp, 24-watt

THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
I have the 12.0

Also, I read in another group about the UV lights. They say if the readings are low check the reflector inside the fixture. Sometimes it is installed the wrong way and flipping it over fixes that.
ARCADIA has different ratings than ZOOMED.
Arcadia would be a 12%. While ZOOMED would be a 10.0

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.

P.S. - fantastic photo!
Correct
A 5.0 might be very good for a Redfoot. But for a Sulcata. That tube would need to be very close to the animal you be of any real benefit.

SuzanneZ

Georgetown
First time testing UV lighting for my sulcata tortoise with a Solarmeter 6.5R. Scale is 0-7.

While testing the brand new T5 bulb I ordered (below), the meter isn't even hitting 1.0 just a couple feet directly under the light. Is that right?

View attachment 362529

I get a reading of 5.0 when I point it directly at the sun outside (at noon today, sunny, in North Alabama, US, in October).

I'm seeing that sulcatas maybe need a UV meter reading of at least 3 for their basking spot?

I set my sulcata tortoise Leonard up in a 13ftx8ft heated room inside each Winter (he spends Summers outside). I'd like to know that at least his basking spot is giving him enough light.
View attachment 362530
(my big, sweet boy 🥰 will miss his Summertime burrow and 2-acre pasture while he's inside over Winter 🥶)

Solarmeter 6.5R:

-Mom of Leonar

TeamZissou

Albuquerque, NM
I think your problem is that you are not pointing the sensor of the Solar meter at the light. The sensor is the little white part on top. This is what needs to be pointing at the light to get a reading. In your photo you appear to be holding it at a right angle relative to the incoming light, causing a low reading.

solar meter.jpg

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California

View attachment 362529

View attachment 362530

Solarmeter 6.5R:

-Mom of Leonard
Your tortoise is too large for basking lamps anymore and you are likely to cause carapace damage by using them.

While there is no harm in offering indoor UV to your tortoise over winter, it is completely unnecessary. Animals that live outside and have access to direct sunshine most of the year don't need indoor UV, even over winter.

I also agree with Team Zissou's assessment.