Urgent Help w/ new turtle

Turtleinabox99

Location (City and/or State)
Denver Colorado
I have owned my three toed for 6 years, and decided I would get another when my friend told me that he had kept one for 2 years and wanted to get rid of it. Unfortunatley he was not the best turtle keeper, and I have had several difficulties. When I got him i was told he was a healthy normally sized female three toed. he was not. instead I have an absoutley gigantic male florida box turtle with shell rot, scale rot, pyramiding, sores covering his face, who has been fed a diet of pure chicken and strawberries for two years. anyway, my goal is to cohabitate my turtles, and I was wondering
A) can they still be kept together with the size difference
B) will they breed even though they are different subspecies
C) how do I treat all of the above conditions
Thanks

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Well, I'm a purist, so I'm going to give you an answer you probably don't want. I don't believe in keeping different sub species in the same yard. I have at least one of each of the U.S.'s box turtles, and each species has its own yard. If you truly DO have a male Florida, they are pretty agressive. I wouldn't even consider keeping him with only one female. He will be very mean to her. Plus, the lovely female pet you've been taking care of for the past 6 years will disappear and in her place you will have a scared, shy animal that spends the day hiding.

Shell rot - athlete foot cream
pyramiding - nothing to do about it on a grown turtle
sores - pick off the scabs and clean up the wounds. Flush with sterile water then dry and add antibiotic ointment. Keep ointment on the sores so the scabs that form do not get hard.
poor diet - you may have to start off by feeding the same diet, slowly adding more of the good stuff while slowly decreasing the chicken

Rover15

5 Year Member
ontario canada
OK thank you, would this problem be reduced if I added more females to the group?
Reduced maybe but again keeping thr same spiese is the better idea, so add 2 or 3 florida box turtles would be best. But lets focuse on getting him 100% and im his own enclosure before adding females.