Urates? (Pic)

bextort

5 Year Member
I've had my tort a couple of months now, a Russian. I've previously expressed my concern about how little she drinks and passes fluid.

Well today after a nice long soak she passed urine and also urates I believe, white gritty/sand looking substance.

However I am not familiar with urates and if or how they relate to my tortoises health. I've included a pic, might be TMI (sorry if so)

ImageUploadedByTortForum1380373693.659767.jpg

She's in good health otherwise, eats fairly well although very fussy, spends plenty of time outside, and when in doors she has the roam of the house mixed up with time in a large tank with coco coir substrate with a heat lamp.

I'd be grateful of any advice regarding urates and are they normal? :)

Last edited by a moderator:

hunterk997

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Wayland, NY
I think I remember reading if the urates are "gritty," it means they are dehydrated.

Sent from my iPod touch using TortForum mobile app

bextort

5 Year Member
Oh no, I don't know how to get her to drink, even during soaks I don't notice her drinking. I have to soak her foods and as far as I know that is the only fluid intake she has

hunterk997

10 Year Member!
Wayland, NY
How often do you soak her?

Sent from my iPod touch using TortForum mobile app

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Urates are a normal thing from this species...with that being said, the acceptable/desirable texture is really smooth thinned out toothpaste...gritty or rocky means a bit more hydration should be the goal.

Russians are also a species that really seem less impressed with being plopped in like beans for a soak...but, sometimes that has to be set aside and it needs to be done...

I would be sure to use warm water, a tub that has tall enough sides that the tort can not actually climb out--but let him think he just may make it if he tries (this will be the incentive for motion)....keep the water warm the entire soak (which should be no less than 30 minutes)...I would fill the water high enough that the fleshy parts of his body are in the water (with exception to his head of course :D) this will allow parts of his body to soak up some of the water, especially if he does not joyfully dunk his head and drink....also the motion will get the goodies in the gut moving which in turn will help to clear the urates ....don't be worried if the tort seems to try to escape up the sides--again this is motion...just keep an eye on the tort to make sure it does not flip...

I would do this at least once a day for the next couple of weeks...

bextort

5 Year Member
Ah thank you, will up her soaks, luckily she doesn't mind soaks if the water is kept at a steady temp, she becomes a little restless if the temp drops.

Thank you for the advice everyone, glad it's nothing super serious :)

thatrebecca

5 Year Member
Los Angeles, CA
One thing that helps with my water averse DT is if I soak his morning greens. He gets some nice hydration there.

Mrs.T

5 Year Member
Is 30 mins the norm for soaking or just if you think they are dehydrated? My Russian dunks her head into her water dish but rarely goes in for a full body dip. I soak her most days but only for around 10 mins. For the first few days she only had bowel movements while in water, today is the first she has done them in her tank!

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Is 30 mins the norm for soaking or just if you think they are dehydrated? My Russian dunks her head into her water dish but rarely goes in for a full body dip. I soak her most days but only for around 10 mins. For the first few days she only had bowel movements while in water, today is the first she has done them in her tank!

I would suggest you offer warm water soaks for no less than 30 minutes when you do soaks....they absorb hydration through a couple spots on the soft parts of their body....so even soaking is beneficial...:D

bextort

5 Year Member
Mrs.T said:

I soak mine 2-3 times a week for 20-30 minutes, sometimes longer but she usually gets a bit cranky and agitated and starts trying to get out despite me keeping water temps the same

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
starts trying to get out despite me keeping water temps the same

This is alright, motion helps to get the "stuff" inside moving...:D If the tort has grit then I would be soaking him once a day for at least 30 minutes until the urates have smoothed...