Trio Observation.

Elohi

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Texas
He who eats the larger portions of mazuri and grassland tortoise food, grows the largest. Beans (the big one) has always gone after the supplemental foods and eaten considerably more of them than Watson, and Freckles refuses to eat mazuri or grassland unless she is tricked by adding diced foods that she can't resist. (i.e. minced yellow squash or a blueberry)
Watson falls somewhere in between and his size follows the trend. Freckles remains considerably smaller.
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1403294623.852134.jpg

Elohi(Earth)

Saleama

5 Year Member
Irving Texas
Elohi, my two Greg T babies have dwarfed my others and my Yvonne baby is getting there. My original two seem to be growing in slow motion compared to the other three. I'll have to get some pictures up soon. On a side note, Lyle has gone rouge! He thinks he owns the garden and all the girls in it. I think maybe he is enjoying 1,300 sq feet of all he can eat buffet as well. There is an "If you can reach it, you can eat it" policy in the garden. I will try and get the pictures on here tonight.

Elohi

5 Year Member
Texas
Elohi, my two Greg T babies have dwarfed my others and my Yvonne baby is getting there. My original two seem to be growing in slow motion compared to the other three. I'll have to get some pictures up soon. On a side note, Lyle has gone rouge! He thinks he owns the garden and all the girls in it. I think maybe he is enjoying 1,300 sq feet of all he can eat buffet as well. There is an "If you can reach it, you can eat it" policy in the garden. I will try and get the pictures on here tonight.

Aha! There you are! I was wondering where you were lol. I can't wait to see more pictures!!

Elohi(Earth)

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
BAM!!! Welcome to my world! For the last few years I have been pondering this and getting nowhere. Why when raised in groups do some grow faster than others with identical food, backgrounds and conditions? You've seen the answer: Appetite. Now on to the next question that I can't answer yet: WHY? Why are some of them little piggies who eat every thing in sight and grow accordingly, while others choose to just nibble sporadically. I've got evidence to shoot down just about every theory I can come up with. It could be social stress, but when separated and living alone they often retain their dainty eating habits. Males vs. females? While males to tend to grow faster, eat more and behave in a more bold fashion, I still have fast growing females with big appetites and slow growing males with dainty appetites. Tuck and trey from "The End of Pyramiding" are a perfect example. Tuck is male and frequently walks away from food piles even when he is the only tort in the yard. While Trey, his clutchmate sister sits in front of the food until its all gone regard less of whether or not she is alone or sharing the food with one more of her enclosure mates. Trey is nearly twice as big as her brother Tuck now.

The only theory I cannot eliminate is that they are just like people and just have different appetites. My wife for example has little appetite and frequently skips meals, while I am the extreme opposite. I've seen this with many species.

Elohi

5 Year Member
Texas
And I bought Mazuri LS and my babies were unimpressed. All of them are around it. LOL

Elohi(Earth)