Tortoises and snakes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mookins

5 Year Member
We dont get many snakes here in uk thankfully, but my neighbour spotted one presumably a grass snake a few years back in our garden, should i be concerned or panicing over nothing
thank you xx

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
A Land Far Away...
How small is your tortoise? As a general rule, snakes have more to fear from tortoises, then tortoses from snakes.

Mookins

5 Year Member
we've not got her yet, not a tiddler judging by the photo, thanks for the help,im such a worrier lol xx

StudentoftheReptile

5 Year Member
Alabama
Yeah, I don't think any of the 4-5 native snakes in the UK are any danger to any chelonian. We have a couple over in the U.S. that have been known to eat hatchling turtles & tortoises, but not little grass snakes. ;)

Instinct

5 Year Member
Upstate New York
As long as she isn't a tiny hatchling, she should be just fine.

Snakes, especially the ones that you have in the UK, are generally very shy. I highly doubt it will even come close to your tortoise.

Mookins

5 Year Member
Thanks everyone, my husband says im silly to panic about snakes here...i just like to be prepared lol

no,she wont be out all year round tooo cold here, im currently building indoor enclosure, then when it gets warmer i can make a start on outdoor enclosure, even then during the Autumn and winter and most of spring she will be indoors...stupid weather at the moment supposed to be spring and most of UK is covered in snow!!, we quite lucky here in Norfolk( East Coast of UK) didnt get much thankfully, cant stand the white stuff

thanks again everyone xx

Torts4Life!

5 Year Member
Denver, Colorado
Sounds like a good plan you have! Show us some pics when you get everything built! I'd love to see them!!

Mookins

5 Year Member
have ditched the homemade home, never was good at woodwork, have bought an enclosure, just waiting for it to be delivered, lights should be here any day, then when temps are regulated Il go collect Ana...sooo excited
photos asap i promise

jamiescorer

5 Year Member
Hi what type of tortoise are you getting, I'm from the north east of uk, so I suppose on this global forum were practically neighbours.

Mookins

5 Year Member
jamiescorer said:
Hi what type of tortoise are you getting, I'm from the north east of uk, so I suppose on this global forum were practically neighbours.

hi neighbour :D
shes a sulcata, only im struggling with an enclsoure due to the speed they grow, have now cancelled the one I ordered...back to the drawing board x

jamiescorer

5 Year Member
Hi, neighbour Ha ha
beautiful tortoises and yeah they grow some size, I was tempted to get one but we don't get the kind of weather you need up here in newcastle. Looking forward to seeing some pics.

FLINTUS

5 Year Member
Watery Wiltshire in the UK
Hi, another UK member here-Wiltshire. As said, our climate means they will have to spend a fair bit of time inside and when adult you will need a large heated shed.

Mookins

5 Year Member
FLINTUS said:
Hi, another UK member here-Wiltshire. As said, our climate means they will have to spend a fair bit of time inside and when adult you will need a large heated shed.

hi:D

outdoor enclosure will be started as soon as im brave enough to venture outside
husband is going to get to work on some measurements and plans, wonder if our eldest (18yrs) would like to donate his bedroom hehehe

xx

DesertGrandma

10 Year Member!
Arizona
I agree. Your tort shouldn't be in any danger from snakes. I have heard that here in AZ desert tortoises sometimes share their burrows with rattlesnakes in the wild.

Mookins

5 Year Member
DesertGrandma said:
I agree. Your tort shouldn't be in any danger from snakes. I have heard that here in AZ desert tortoises sometimes share their burrows with rattlesnakes in the wild.

really? wow thats amazing! xx

GeoTerraTestudo

5 Year Member
Broomfield, Colorado
I live in Denver, Colorado, USA. Growing up, I used to keep three-toed box turtles (Terrapene carolina triunguis). One day, when I went out to the garden to check up on my adult, 5-inch-long three-toed, I found a relatively large, adult garter snake (Thamnophis sp). It was about a meter long, and about an inch thick, which would make it too small to eat her, but large enough to bite her. Fortunately, it was no problem. The snake was only "sniffing" at her with his tongue, and she wasn't frightened or withdrawn into her shell. If she had felt threatened, she would have been able to protect herself from such a creature.

I would only be concerned for the safety of tortoises or box turtles that are small enough to be swallowed by the snake. If they're too big for the snake, then they're safe. It's the mammalian carnivores like foxes and dogs, as well as coyotes and raccoons here in the States, that are the real danger. I also once saw grackles walking around my box turtle. When I came out, they flew away. I don't know if they were capable of killing a tortoise or box turtle, but my hunch would be that they could inflict some damage while trying.

Mookins said:
DesertGrandma said:

really? wow thats amazing! xx

Yep, it's true. Gopherus tortoises in both the Southwestern and Southeastern USA share their burrows with snakes, including rattlesnakes. The snakes are commensals, meaning that they benefit from the tortoises, and while they don't benefit the tortoise in return, they pose no threat, either. Again, I think only very young tortoises are at risk.

StudentoftheReptile

5 Year Member
Alabama
This has been discussed before. The only snakes documented as to have eaten hatchling turtles and tortoises are the eastern indigo snake (endangered species) and cottonmouth moccasin, both endemic to the southeast US.

There are certainly other snakes out there large enough to swallow young tortoises/turtles, such as rattlesnakes, ratsnakes, and the Pituophis genus (gopher/pine/bull snakes), but these snakes as adults are almost exclusive mammalian carnivores, and prefer warm-blooded prey.

Status
Not open for further replies.