Tortoise Table Question.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alyssadaunvoit

5 Year Member
I have two Russian torts, Juliet and Dimitri, who at the moment live in a 75 gallon tank. I want to build them a tortoise table though because I know tanks are terrible for them :(

Since I have two of them, what would a good size be? Dimensions....?

Also I have 3 cats so there safety is important to me...if I made a lid to put on the top, would that be okay?

Anyone have any good ideas for the tortoise table?! I am soo excited to build them a good, safe home :)))

Eweezyfosheezy

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Peoria, Arizona
How big are your tortoises? If they are babies then an area of 4'x2' is more than enough (Normally the bigger the better is the law but with babies I like a good sized area but an area small enough to where its not too hard to find them if they are buried in their substrate). If they are bigger then they will need a lot more space than that. Are you able to make something outside for them?

Alyssadaunvoit

5 Year Member
They are both pretty full grown but on the smaller side of Russian Tortoises.

Yes, they go outside everyday in a bigger enclosure :))

emmalaub

5 Year Member
5 times 3 foot is about as big as u need pretty large i would say

Alyssadaunvoit

5 Year Member
tortle said:
Tanks are not bad if it's actually the right size for them

That's what I thought too but my older of the two is beginning to get respiratory issues so I feel like such a bad mom!!

The vet says it could be due to diet or the tank so I figured might as well change both!

I want what's best for my torts <3

emmalaub said:
5 times 3 foot is about as big as u need pretty large i would say

Awesome!! That is just about how big I was planning on making it! Thank you so much :)

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Southwest Washington
A bookshelf turned on its side and lined with a heavy duty shower curtain or pond liner or a tarp works.
Or, you can actually build one! Make sure the sides are high enough to allow for 4" or so of substrate and not allow them to climb out. (they have been known to climb on each other and scrabble their way to the top!).
A lip around the edge will also prevent this.
good luck!

Alyssadaunvoit

5 Year Member
lynnedit said:
A bookshelf turned on its side and lined with a heavy duty shower curtain or pond liner or a tarp works.
Or, you can actually build one! Make sure the sides are high enough to allow for 4" or so of substrate and not allow them to climb out. (they have been known to climb on each other and scrabble their way to the top!).
A lip around the edge will also prevent this.
good luck!

Thank you! I'm building one Monday!! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.