Tortoise Repiratory Infection not getting better..HELP?

Nathania

I took my african leopard tortoise to the vet a few weeks ago because I could hear him breathe at night, and he wasn't very active...they gave him three shots of antibiotic (gentamycin). Unfortunately I can still hear him breathe at night and I'm really worried. Its loud enough for me to hear from across the room....he does seem more active though. I can't really afford to pay for more antibiotics and I'm also worried that would be hard on his health...hes about three years old. What in the world can I do? :(

ascott

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Apple Valley, California
I took my african leopard tortoise to the vet a few weeks ago because I could hear him breathe at night, and he wasn't very active...they gave him three shots of antibiotic (gentamycin). Unfortunately I can still hear him breathe at night and I'm really worried. Its loud enough for me to hear from across the room....he does seem more active though. I can't really afford to pay for more antibiotics and I'm also worried that would be hard on his health...hes about three years old. What in the world can I do? :(

Is the breathing dry sounding or wet and gooey sounding?

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Please can you post pictures of your tort's enclosure and tell us the four important temperatures - directly under the basking lamp, warm side, cool side and overnight minimum.

We'll do what we can to help you. I was terrified when Joe got a respiratory infection, it's what brought me to TFO, so I know how you feel.

Nathania

Is the breathing dry sounding or wet and gooey sounding?
I'm not sure if it sounds wet and gooey...its like a whistling, squeaky sound. I read on some forums hear that it might be normal so I feel a little bit better but I'm still unsure.... its kind of like hearing a person breathe

crimson_lotus

10 Year Member!
Massachusetts
My tortoises enclosure is in my bedroom so I can hear her breathing sometimes. She had a respiratory infection about 2 years ago, but we cleared it up at the vet, did some xrays on her lung to make sure her pneumonia was gone, flushed her nasal passages with saline to make sure nothing was stuck in there, and the vet listened to her breathing with a stethoscope as well. Nothing wrong.

Just to be sure, what substrate are you using? Maybe it's dusty or dry?

Also what are your temperatures, basking and cool side?

Is your vet knowledgeable about tortoises? I've never heard of a 3 injection RI treatment.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California

You said the vet administered medicine to treat the symptoms of the RI, but what did you and your vet do to address and correct the cause of the RI? Treating the symptoms without fixing the problem is pointless and futile, but that is what usually happens, unfortunately.

They don't get sick for no reason. The usual cause is temps that are too cool for this warmth loving species. Especially night temps. So the first step is to tell us what your four temperatures are, and what heating and lighting equipment you are using to achieve those temps. Once we have that, we can start solving the actual problem, vs. just treating the symptoms.

crimson_lotus

10 Year Member!
Massachusetts
My vet, a tort expert, prescribed a course of antibiotic injections to treat Joe's RI. I can't remember how many

Mine was every 3 days, we had to do about 3 rounds which took about 3 months. It just sounded weird that the span of antibiotics was so short for this guy. 3 shots doesn't sound effective.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
I agree with Tom that we need information on temperatures and the enclosure to help this guy get well.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
I'm not sure if it sounds wet and gooey...its like a whistling, squeaky sound. I read on some forums hear that it might be normal so I feel a little bit better but I'm still unsure.... its kind of like hearing a person breathe

Simply hearing a tortoise breath does not mean there is an illness.....breathing makes noise....if the tortoise is in the room you sleep in then perhaps you may want to relocate the tortoise to another room/location that will not interrupt your sleep....or....get use to the sound of a breathing tortoise.....also, does the tortoise make noise always or do you notice it more when all gets quiet for bedtime?

What type of enclosure do you have the tortoise in?