Tortoise in aquarium

Status
Not open for further replies.

maymay

5 Year Member
Hi..

I have twice came across whereby a tortoise was put in an aquarium full of water without any landing for the tortoise to rest from swimming..

i cant imagine the tortoise have to swim without rest..

the first one are at my cousin house when i was a young girl, i told my cousin the tortoise are going to be tired swimming non stop, they said "its okay that how the tortoise live"

the second one was when i and my family pass by a pet shop...
same thing only water in the tank and the tiny tortoises swimming non stop. I and my daughter are concern and sad to see it. We went into the shop and told the owner to put at least put something so that when the tortoises are tired they can rest. He smile and say okay..

When we reach home, my daughter and me are still sad..and she cried.. I call the pet shop again to ask about the tortoises.. He said someone already brought it. I dont know if its true..

Until this day i feel so sad to think of the swimming tortoises..
can someone tell me, if the tortoises are meant to swim non stop and it will be okay..that its their nature to be like that..

Thank you

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Las Vegas, NV
Are you talking about a tortoise or a turtle?

I guessing it was a turtle, and I think they do need a place to rest and bask out of the water.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Mary:

First of all, you have to make the distinction between a "tortoise" and a "turtle." More than likely what you saw in both instances were turtles and not tortoises. Turtles live in water and tortoises live on land. It would be nice for a turtle to have a docking area, and it would be healthy, however, they CAN hold their breath for a very long time, and if they need to rest, they CAN stop swimming and rest on the bottom for a bit. Also, they can inflate their lungs and float on the top for a bit without swimming.

Nice of you to be concerned, though. We need more people like you to have sympathy for the poor animals.

maymay

5 Year Member
emysemys said:
Hi Mary:

First of all, you have to make the distinction between a "tortoise" and a "turtle." More than likely what you saw in both instances were turtles and not tortoises. Turtles live in water and tortoises live on land. It would be nice for a turtle to have a docking area, and it would be healthy, however, they CAN hold their breath for a very long time, and if they need to rest, they CAN stop swimming and rest on the bottom for a bit. Also, they can inflate their lungs and float on the top for a bit without swimming.

Nice of you to be concerned, though. We need more people like you to have sympathy for the poor animals.

okay then..now i feel much better..thank you..

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Water turtles actually can survive without a place to rest...however, in order for a water turtle to maintain a truly healthy shell they do need to have a way to get out of the water to completely dry off their shell...they risk shell issues if they are never able to completely "dry out" from time to time :rolleyes:

maymay

5 Year Member
tortoise-in-petting-zoo-mobile-farm-toddlers-kids-children-encounter-farm-animals-for-touching-feeling-tactile-sensory-input-1-JR.jpg

is this tortoise or turtle?

maymay

5 Year Member
ascott said:
I am sorry but there was no picture, only a little box thingy?

serious? how come i can see it? :D
nevermind i try again

photo42033.htm

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
I dont know? I could so be the idiot here....but all I see is a little box thingy ( I am sure that is not the technical name for the box thingy? )

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
Thats a nice photo of a basking turtle, just not a tortoise like the photographer has written.

maymay

5 Year Member
Fernando said:
That is a Turtle

thank you Fernando... :)

sometimes when any of my family find one..we keep it for a day or two and feed it with a kang kung.. an eatable plant..
then we let it go..

i still cant get over the image of the turtle swimming non stop at my cousin place... that time i wish i can steal it and put it in the river..

Status
Not open for further replies.