Top soil and cypress mulch

semog

5 Year Member
I have a sulcata and I'm working on its indoor enclosure and bought top soil and cypress mulch. Should I do half cypress and half soil? Which side should its hide be also what kind of things are safe to put in the enclosure to make it interesting? I got a bookshelf we are laying down and taking shelves out of. My tort is about 6-8 in not sure of age or sex.

New Desert Tortoise Mommy

5 Year Member
Re: Top sol and cypress mulch

U can do half top soil nd half mulch if u like it. His hide should be in the cooler side and you can just about anything to make it interesting! ! Get some fun rocks :) nd plants to put in there but make sure its not posioness. Nd they can act like they are In the wild haha

please and thank you

nate.mann

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Glendale, Arizona, USA
these two are highly suggested by the members here, so either one or both is great. i would suggest more cypress mulch in the hide as it holds moisture much better than top soil. anyways, how big is the enclosure going to be? a tort of this size should be housed outdoors if at all possible.

Myidcw

5 Year Member
nate.mann said:
these two are highly suggested by the members here, so either one or both is great. i would suggest more cypress mulch in the hide as it holds moisture much better than top soil. anyways, how big is the enclosure going to be? a tort of this size should be housed outdoors if at all possible.
Mix them together or put them in in separate layers?
Thanks

Redstrike

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
New York
Tortoises are like bulldozers, I'd just mix the two and dump it in. If you stratified the two layers, your tort will likely mix them up anyway. Same goes for partitioning mulch and soil on opposite ends, the animal will eventually mix the two together.