Throw away old food...?

DawnH

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Southeast Texas
Weather permitting Tuleo is outside all day eating the yard. Before he comes in at dusk I go around and clip bits of green for him. Mexican Heather, a small rose, various grasses and weeds, geranium, hibiscus - a small variety of some of this (and more) each time. He then can chomp on it at night or in the morning while I get kids off to school/wait for outside to warm up to at least 70. He never finishes it all.

So can I leave it all one more day? When he is out for the day I clean his indoor oasis, removing all of this (by now) limp green and toss it. Sometimes bits of grass, etc. will stay in his substrate and turn yellow due to the moisture.

I am just wondering if this is the right thing to do because we DRY things for our tortoises during the winter yet this isn't drying, this is just half dead-ish (if you know what I mean.)

Thoughts?

DawnH

5 Year Member
Southeast Texas
Thank you both!! That is what I thought but wanted to make sure I wasn't wasting anything.

I appreciate it!

johnsonnboswell

5 Year Member
It depends. If you leave greens in and they dry up but get eaten later, it's worth leaving them. They'd have to be pretty hungry, but I've seen it happen on occasion. So you can run the experiment or not, whichever you prefer.

DawnH

5 Year Member
Southeast Texas
It depends. If you leave greens in and they dry up but get eaten later, it's worth leaving them. They'd have to be pretty hungry, but I've seen it happen on occasion. So you can run the experiment or not, whichever you prefer.

I think my biggest concern would be humidly. Nothing is really able to "dry" in his oasis, it's too humid. I do think I am going to try and dry a few things this summer in preparation for winter though!

Odin's Gma

5 Year Member
USDA Zone 4a+
I think my biggest concern would be humidly. Nothing is really able to "dry" in his oasis, it's too humid. !
That's the same problem here. If it would dry I would leave it in for a bit, but it doesn't in Odin's enclosure and I worry about mold, so anything that isn't eaten is thrown out.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
You are smart to be thinking about the humidity. The grass, etc. could possibly grow mold in a humid environment. I wouldn't take a chance. Toss it daily.

M

Maggie Cummings

I also toss it daily. Bob eats a good diet Spring and Summer, (of course nothing is blooming now) so he's eating produce and Mazuri. If it every stops sprinkling and we get sun maybe thing will grow....Oregon, where people don't tan they trust.

DawnH

5 Year Member
Southeast Texas
Well, I am glad you guys understood I meant "humidity" since I typed humidly... *sigh*

We have been SLAMMED with torrential rains here in Texas so he has been inside more than he cares for. Luckily the clouds have parted and we have sun for a few hours. Our driveway and street are flooded but as long as Tuleo gets to go outside all is well...lol

Thanks everyone!

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
You are smart to be thinking about the humidity. The grass, etc. could possibly grow mold in a humid environment. I wouldn't take a chance. Toss it daily.
My thoughts exactly. They can get pretty sick if they eat moldy grass or hay.

johnsonnboswell

5 Year Member
I think my biggest concern would be humidly. Nothing is really able to "dry" in his oasis, it's too humid. I do think I am going to try and dry a few things this summer in preparation for winter though!
In that case, you are doing the right thing to toss the old food every day. I would, too.

M

Maggie Cummings

Maggie, come a little south! We are sunshine and mid 80s all week :D ;) :cool:
Bragging is NOT an attractive quality!!!

We have had rain or sprinkles for 7 freakin months. But we're expecting sun this week. Maybe if you like I will come and visit next month....just for the day

Last edited by a moderator:

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
Funny thing, I was in Bandon this past weekend. First thing I did was check to see if it was near Corvallis lol... so we could swing by for a visit!
Well no, it wasn't :/

Anytime you are in or passing through Medford let me know!

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
My guys get fresh food each afternoon. But, I have seen them seek out and eat old, wilted leaves from the food area from past feedings.
Mine are Redfoot though and they can and do find strange things to be great food items.