this kills me!

Status
Not open for further replies.

RascalDesertTort

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
AZ
So, because of some stupid little kids trying to steal Rascal, I've had to move him indoors and he is not happy about it. :( So I'm gonna give this a shot since this is a temporary home. So would anyone like to adopt Rascal (must be able to live outside!) with the option of getting him back when we buy a house probably next year?? Obviously if you have gotten too attached by that point we wouldn't dare take him from you.

You need to be in the Phx, AZ area with a secure outdoor habitat for Rascal or I can provide his tub and hides with a chicken wire covering.

He eats baby spring mix every other day (The in between days, he likes to munch on the dried leaves.) And has liquid calcium and water purifier drops. Also has his cuttle bone but has never taken interest in it.

Oh yeah, he is a DT and hatched Nov. 2009.

Shannon

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Shannon, Rascal should be with you. I lived in an apartment for a while too. Just house him indoors and only put him out when you are there to supervise. I used to sit outside with mine at my apartment for 20-30 minutes a few times per week. There was a neighbor kid who loved reptiles and would always hang out with me whenever he saw me out with the reptiles. He was a responsible young man and after a few weeks he knew the routine and I was comfortable leaving them alone with him for short periods. Maybe this sort of a situation could work out for you.

They only need 20 minutes 2 or 3 times a week to get by. He'll be fine for a year or two that way.

Now then, time to start devising clever ways to get back at the local thieves...

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Stephanie Logan said:
Water cannon!!!

I was thinking Taser AND pepper spray. In that order.

...maybe some groin kicking too, depending on their attitude after the Taser and pepper spray...

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
You say he's not happy about being moved indoors, but he'll soon get used to it. Tortoises really love routine. Once he becomes accustomed to the indoor routine...yes, here comes the food goddess, right on time...and ok, its time for lights out...and ...yippee! light on its going to be time to eat soon!!...he'll settle down and you'll see the cute little relaxed tortoise you've come to love. Don't give him up. Chances are you wouldn't be able to get him back when your situation resolves.

RascalDesertTort

5 Year Member
AZ
Thanks so much you guys! I'm feeling a lot better about keeping him now. I'm thinking about setting up a webcam for my patio to catch the little thieves. They stole my sons toys too. Little shits lol. So I'll keep him and punish the kids instead of myself. Way better plan :). OO maybe I'll have my husband wear his army uniform and hang out outside while they play so they know he's here lol.

Angi

5 Year Member
La Mesa, CA.
What about getting a dog run that you can lock and put his tub in that. Then he can be outside and safe. Also find the brats and have a talk with their parents.

nancydrew88

5 Year Member
How awful! I'm sorry that the neighbor kids are ruining outdoor life for your tortoise. I like the plan of your husband in his army uniform ;o)

Candy

10 Year Member!
Alhambra, CA
I like the dog run idea. He's still a baby so he should be fine indoors Shannon. Stupid people who live near you huh? I take Ruby and Eddie out when it's sunny enough and I still have to watch them (until my husband builds another smaller enclosure). :D I'm glad that you can feel comfortable in keeping him now. :) Don't you love the people on this forum? ;)

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Have your husband clean his guns often out in public, on your propery of course.

Status
Not open for further replies.