Thinking on getting Cherry Heads

Status
Not open for further replies.

Turtle Guru

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
WV
im wondering if they are a good tortoise to rasie because i want a tortoise because i have never had one and they seem awsome and i have rasied only box and aquatic turtles so im just wondering what a cherry head is like but im also getting more aquatic turtles so how much will get into if i get a cherry head because im not rich and i love my aquatic turtles but i like to raise and have a tortise so need some advise from you guys

Fernando

10 Year Member!
Southern California
Turtle Guru said:
im wondering if they are a good tortoise to rasie because i want a tortoise because i have never had one and they seem awsome and i have rasied only box and aquatic turtles so im just wondering what a cherry head is like but im also getting more aquatic turtles so how much will get into if i get a cherry head because im not rich and i love my aquatic turtles but i like to raise and have a tortise so need some advise from you guys

Whoa! You've gotta put some periods and capital letters in your sentences, buddy!

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Tennessee
Turtle Guru said:

AMEN - see here - http://www.turtletary.com/cherryheads.htm

AND here - http://www.turtletary.com/redfootcare.htm

A hatchling redfoot/cherryhead will [ most likely ] cost several times more $$$ to acquire than your aquatics - the enclosure costs won't be as much ( depending on where you live.. ?? ).. but will need to be at least 3' x 6' in a couple years! So space might be an issue - if you can't provide enough space do not get a tortoise - know this going in.

AND require some attention to daily.

Let us know....

NERD

Stephanie

5 Year Member
Southern California
Fernando said:
Whoa! You've gotta put some periods and capital letters in your sentences, buddy!

I'm wondering if they are a good tortoise to raise because I want a tortoise. I have never had one, and they seem awesome, but I have only raised box and aquatic turtles, so I'm just wondering what a cherry head is like. However, I'm also getting more aquatic turtles, so how much will get into if I get a cherry head? I'm not rich, and I love my aquatic turtles, but I would like to raise and have a tortoise.

Fixed...I think...

Back to the main point at hand, I've only had Piglet for a few days and I think my little Cherry head is awesome! He/she has quite a bit of personality for a baby tortoise :p
However, having said that, if you currently do not have a good buffer to spend, say, at least a good $500 (including purchasing the tortoise), I would hold off on purchasing a tortoise. This especially would apply if you are looking to expand your current aquatic collection.
Just my two cents...I hope I'm not coming off as mean, and I hope you're able to fit a tortoise into your budget! :)

tyler0912

5 Year Member
Blackburn, U.K.
Do plenty of research at first just write in googl 'cherryheads'
When you think youve got enough info mentaly go by one....they are amazing i love mine he has a great personality!!,
They are also a hardy breed!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
And...besides the cost of setting up the animal, the cost of the animal, there is food costs and vet bills.

tyler0912

5 Year Member
Blackburn, U.K.
heres my prices...please excuse me im from britain.....
I paid....(dont know in $)
Tortoise-£250
Tortoise table-£100 (temporary)
Electric bills....
Vet bills...
Food about £10 a week not to bad
substrate- £8 a week
temporary outdoor enclosure...soo...
You do the math! xx

Turtle Guru

5 Year Member
WV
ok thanks guys i am plus im sorry for the lack of periods and capital letter sick and was not thinking straight

DixieParadise

5 Year Member
Georgetown, TX
Cherries are nice, but can be pricey depending on breeder. I have 3 and love them. I would not have considered them, if I had not researched them and thought that I could afford each of them. I think you are smart enought to do the homework and come up with your own answer to your question. It is not just space, but how much time to you have to do your everyday chores and then dedicate a fair amount to your torts and turtles?

Turtle Guru

5 Year Member
WV
yea i know what you mean man and thanks everybody for the tips:)

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
As a rule of thumb, in almost any hobby there is an initial primary cost- whether it is a tortoise, a desktop computer, a tent and sleeping bags, a great fishing pole, etc. Then, in general, you will spend that same amount in the first year for the necessary secondary supplies- the housing and set up, software and services, other camping or fishing needs, etc.

The rule of thumb also says that the costs in years 2 and 3 go down a bit since you have the main stuff- but usually in year 4 or 5, it goes back up as you upgrade or improve the stuff... or it goes way down as you back out of the hobby.

Red-foots are my favorite species, and WV should be a good place to raise them.

However... tortoises are a lot different than turtles. I honestly think you might get more bang for your buck and more overall enjoyment out of putting the money on an interesting turtle or two. You have a Red-ear, perhaps looking at Spotteds or the 'marsh turtles' like the Wood Turtle might be an option. If you have not been there, you can try http://www.turtleforum.com or their info site, http://www.austinsturtlepage.com. Great stuff!

I say that partly because I am not a fan of the 'home menagerie'- a turtle, a tortoise, a dog, a snake, a parrot, a guinea pig, a... I've been there and done that, and for myself, I think there is more happiness in being a bit more focused and doing a great job with fewer species. (No offense meant towards those who have a different philosophy or experiences than I did!)

Fernando

10 Year Member!
Southern California
Stephanie said:
Fernando said:

I'm wondering if they are a good tortoise to raise because I want a tortoise. I have never had one, and they seem awesome, but I have only raised box and aquatic turtles, so I'm just wondering what a cherry head is like. However, I'm also getting more aquatic turtles, so how much will get into if I get a cherry head? I'm not rich, and I love my aquatic turtles, but I would like to raise and have a tortoise.

Fixed...I think...

Haha! Thanks!

Turtle Guru

5 Year Member
WV
ok i will i love aquatic turtle but i like to have at least 1 tortoise but i spend a lot of time with them and they make me happy but yea im getting tortoise once im done with college and im finacal set to buy and keep one :) because i love this hobby :)

Thank the LORD for Everything:)

Status
Not open for further replies.