Thinking about taking a big step and need some advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stev0623

5 Year Member
Well, my wife was looming around and saw an ad for a sulcata tortoise local to us. No problem right? We already have 7 redfoots and 2 sulcatas. One more is just more to love.

Well, theres alot more to love in this case, as its huge. Likely 10-20 years old, but im not sure.

What Im asking is how does the care for a big guy differ from the little ones? Hell have a whole half acre fenced in back yard to run free, safe from predators.

Id imagine eating is basically the same just larger portions and more frequent....

Ive never had a tort this big and the wife seems to have her heartset on it.

Can anyone give me some advice, or a good reason not to do it?

How are winters with these big ones?? I know itd be hard to drag it in every night.

I live in FL, and bring my RFs and Sullies in my garage when temps go sub 65 and 70. (biggest one is 10" smallest is 4")

Ps, the pet shop wants $280 for her, but i bet I could get $250 or less.

Pics; http://s54.photobucket.com/albums/g101/TevanBP/?action=view&current=30558c7f.jpg

http://s54.photobucket.com/albums/g101/TevanBP/?action=view&current=b4e2d820.jpg

http://s54.photobucket.com/albums/g101/TevanBP/?action=view&current=e5de85c1.jpg

chadk

10 Year Member!
A few things... First, hi, and welcome.

I'd hold off on that tort. I'm sure you could find one for free or close in much better condition and health... It is pyramided (not horrible, but not great), and out of 3 pics, you'd think it would be out of its shell. A healthy sulcata will be out and about, exploring and looking for food...

Also, until a sullie is about 12 to 14 inches, you won't know the sex. And even then, you may be suprised later. And if you end up with multiple males, you could have a bunch more issues do deal with.

What sort of fencing do you have? A good sized sullie is like a bulldozer and can push through chain link fencing, knock down some types of wood and brick\rock type fencing, etc. They can dig under, knock open gates, and be a real pain to keep from escaping.

For feeding, if you have a good supply of weeds and grass, you may not have to worry much about it. I rarely feed my torts beyond what my yard provides.

In your climate, a small shelter, like a good sized dog house, with a CHE for cold nights, would probably be all you'd need. Here in Western WA, I have to give mine a heated, insulated shelter as we get a little snow and a handful of below freezing nights through the winter. But my sullies still have full time access to go out in the cold if they want. And they do - even if only for a minute at a time...

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
I think you're basing this sulcata's size on the fact that yours are still young and small. The tortoise looks to be the same size as the floor tile, which might be 12"? Or the tile might be one of the larger sizes, but still that sulcata isn't very big and certainly NOT 20 years old. Its more than likely around 8 to 10 years old with quite a bit of growing to do. They get to be around 150lbs. My Dudley is 20 years old and 107lbs. I'd guess the weight of that tortoise to be around 30lbs. if that.

Try to encourage your wife to re-think her decision to get this tortoise. You already have two sulcatas and they grow very fast. It won't be any time at all until you have two big bull-dozers digging holes to China and tearing up your landscaping. And if they turn out to be males, you might eventually have lots of fighting and need to separate them.

Its a pretty nice-looking tortoise except for the fact that it wouldn't come out, but my advice is don't get it. (you did ask, after all!!)

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
very easy to fall in love aint it!!? Id want to know more about it. Where did it live before coming to the pet store, health, diet etc. How long has it been at the store. Its scared and should be more social.. but???
you ahve perfect weather for one,, or a dozen! and sound like you have room for a few.. but they do get big and fast! and require a lot of space..
Gotta learn to say no.. and I bet you could save the money and find one in Real need of a new home for free.. just a thought..

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
I would look for one that needs a home like CL or your local rescue, I am not saying don't your life your choice, just remember lots and lots of food, and if it is stuck on store food, that will be another factor to consider.

moswen

5 Year Member
i too noticed the fact that he's not out of his shell in any pic. it's unlikely for a sulcata, who are famed for their personalities, to be shy.... i would worry that he's not feeling well. and 250 is pretty steep, esp when you pile it on top of your possible medical bills to get this guy back in right health. also, i have no experience in this issue, but i agree with everyone above as i have heard lots of bad news on keeping males together. tom (the dog trainer) had like a water pipe or something (surrounded by rocks) dozed over and brick walls hounded by one of his male torts after he put it with another male tort just for a 5 second picture.... that's in a thread somewhere here if you want to find it...

i personally thought though, if the tort really is 10 years old, that his shell looks quite nice, considering the sullies that are over 10 years old with the truly bad pyramids...

however, knowing that everyone will do what they will, if you get him, please get as much info on him as possible before hand! (and if you do decide to get him, obviously it will be better for the tort to be healthy and happy and living in good conditions again!) it can be done, have no doubt, esp with a half acre,... just keep in mind, you may have to do some serous reconstructing of your property in a few years if they all turn out male! (and i've also read that even separated by one fence, they can still smell and hear each other and will wreak havoc in their side just because they know who's on the other side!)

i'm with you on whatever your decision may be! keep us posted!

Missy

5 Year Member
Illinois
Everyone has given the same advise that I would. Except if you do get him/her you will need to keep them apart for a while to make sure he/she is healthy and wont pass anything to the others. Let us no what you decide.

M

Maggie Cummings

I say no. There's something wrong with a Sulcata who is locked in so tight. They have great outgoing personalities so it is very unusual for one to stay in for so long. And you already have 2, that means in about 8 years they are going to need that 1/2 acre to eat in and if they are both males the chances are you will need to separate them. So 2 is enough in my opinion and I have 1 who is an 80 pound charmer...

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
I reviewed the pics and like maggie said he is withdrawn in every pic, very unusual IMHO.

Stev0623

5 Year Member
We decided against it, we did however end up with a sulcata anyways. Posting a new thread

Status
Not open for further replies.