THH or THB?? Pyramiding??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Isa

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Montreal, QC, Canada
Hello

I am not sure if Hermy is a THH or a THB, I think she is a THH but I am not sure, does any expert could help me with that :) ?

I would also like to know if you think Hermy has a pyramiding problem? The vet thought so, so he made a blood test, and the results were normal. But when I looke at other Hermanns, I can see a difference. Anyone has an idea?

Thanks a lot

Isa

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
Hi Isa,
Hermy is a T.h.boettgeri :D He is pyramiding a bit. What are you feeding and what are you using for supplements?

Danny

Isa

10 Year Member!
Montreal, QC, Canada
Hello

Thanks for your answers Danny and Chris :)

Hmmm so Hermy is a THB :), I'm glad I asked, I thought she was a THH.

I feed her watercress, endives, parsly, spring mix ( the mix we find at the store), pears cactus (once every 2 weeks, I give her a bit of the inside), Carrots (once a week, dandelions, chicorea, kale). What I feed her the most is the spring mix and the watercress. Maybe the problem is the spring mix, what do you think? I give her Reptivie (zoo med) once a week and calcium in her food 2 times a week. Now since last week I can find dandelions (with the flowers) outside in my yard. But she does not seem to really like it (she attacks steam but she does not want to eat the flower) the problem is I am scared that she is going to choke on the whole piece. I give her her food in pieces since once she ate the whole piece and she chocked on it for 5 min ( I even had to call the vet).

The vet told me to feed her (all she can eat) so everytime her food dish is empty I put some more. She eats a lot. I feed her in the morning, I leave 2 bowls full and when I get back they are almost empty, and I give her a bit when I get home from work. My vet told me that she should always have food in her food dish.

should I change something in her diet?

Thank you very much

Ozric

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Hi Isa, I think you are feeding too much. When my torts are indoors I give them one meal per day, I put out plenty of food but after 30 minutes I remove what they haven't eaten and then they get nothing till the next day. Sometimes they have a day with no food.

When my tortoises are outside they have access to lots of food plants in their enclosure. But they don't eat too much outside and they have to walk about to find the food plants.

I don't see anything too bad in your food list but I think you should feed less.

If you take enough leafy stuff that would make a nice jacket that would cover his shell - then you have enough for a day and that is all he should get.

If your tort was living in a wild place he might have to walk a very long way to find a very small piece of food.

Isa

10 Year Member!
Montreal, QC, Canada
Thanks for the reply Orzic

I will feed her less. I will only feed her once a day. (it is going to be so hard because when she is hungry she wants to eat everything even her little hide (it is in plastic) and her substrate :(

Isa

Status
Not open for further replies.