The forest is now inside the house.... : D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
A Land Far Away...
In my constant effort to make my hingeback enclosures as close to natural, as possible, I bagged several bags of leaves to place within their enclosures. It was cold out the other day, so I brought one of the bags in to warm before spreading into the enclosures.

While it was warming up, the kittens and cats explored the plastic trash bag carefully. They played on it and it was the center of attention for all of them. All was fine, until they managed to untie the strings holding it closed. Suddenly the were digging and tunneling into the bag and thus the leaf pile. By the time I spotted the way play had evolved, I had a small pile of leaves scattered every where. So after emptying what was left of the bag into enclosures and sweeping up the floor (while muttering a few choice words), all was right with the world. The tortoises meanwhile were having their own heyday tromping all over the leaves and making a loud crinkling noise, it would make you think Yvonne's elephants were in the room stomping on leaves. :p :D

The next day, I saw the leaves had almost vanished in a few enclosures, so I brought the next bag in to warm. Thinking of the day before, I made sure to knot the bag tightly and left it on a chair. Then off I went to do some shopping of supplies. When I returned home, I was greeted with leaves falling every where. Leaves were scattered from one room to the next. Leaves were on top of enclosures and on the floor, too. Kittens would run from one room into the other, then jump on the leaves to slide on the leaves across the floor. Others were hunting the leaves and carrying of the captured trophies to undisclosed locations. :D It was like some wild New Year's celebration with leaves instead of confetti. (No Kristina, I did NOT take any pictures... I was too busy contemplating the best way to skin cats and kittens. :p )

I have swept and swept and still today, I am finding leaves everywhere. The things I do for these tortoises. :D

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I don't have any trouble at all picturing those kitties playing in the leaves! Then the mean, old, bad ogre came and took their fun away.

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
Jacqui said:
(No Kristina, I did NOT take any pictures... I was too busy contemplating the best way to skin cats and kittens. :p )

There is after all more than one way to skin a cat! :p

That is absolutely hilarious. I can just picture the run and slide - we have hardwood in our kitchen, and my kitties seem to thing that it is their own personal slip and slide!

(I bag leaves in the fall to use throughout the winter too. I just had to replace the ones in the box turtle enclosure, they had crunched the first batch to nothing.)

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
The older cats (and now some of the braver kittens) love to use the shelf like stacks of tortoise enclosures, as their personal jungle gym. I think the game is to see how fast you can get from one room to another at various levels, without the cat behind catching you or falling off the stack. :D I think some of them have some monkey genes in them. :p

I have a few more bags out there waiting to be brought in as needed. The outside cats love sleeping on the bags, but never tear them open.

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
cemmons12 said:
Very good story, gave me a good laugh! Thank you! :)

:D Glad to be of service! :D Those little scamps keep me laughing all day long.

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
I'm sitting here with the flu......finally had a good laugh. My garage is loaded with bags of leaves that I collected from around the neighborhood.

fbsmith3

5 Year Member
Worcester, MA
I asked my wife to collect some leaves in the back yard. She told the neighborhood that they can put their leaves in my back yard, just close the gate.

I have been so busy working in the house and decorating the front for Christmas, I had not been in the back yard for a long time, until today. We have such a large pile of leaves in the back yard, there could be a Cadillac under it and no one would know. I've placed a sign on the gate. "Please no more leaves" and told the neighbors who still have leaves in their front yard, we can't take anymore.

Yes you can have too much of a good thing.

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
terryo said:
I'm sitting here with the flu......finally had a good laugh. My garage is loaded with bags of leaves that I collected from around the neighborhood.

Are you getting better yet? How about your son?

fbsmith3 said:
I asked my wife to collect some leaves in the back yard. She told the neighborhood that they can put their leaves in my back yard, just close the gate.

I have been so busy working in the house and decorating the front for Christmas, I had not been in the back yard for a long time, until today. We have such a large pile of leaves in the back yard, there could be a Cadillac under it and no one would know. I've placed a sign on the gate. "Please no more leaves" and told the neighbors who still have leaves in their front yard, we can't take anymore.

Yes you can have too much of a good thing.

I have my ex collecting them for me. His neighborhood has lots of big old trees with leaves. Sadley we don't have so many around here and what we do have, I tend to leave where they land or get blown. He has brought about eight big bags so far and has atleast that many waiting to bring out. He informed me his daughter-in-law brought a couple of bags over to his place for me. I guess the word is getting out about me. :D That's okay, I have some roses that need leaves piled around them, too. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.