Sulcata

Bee62

Location (City and/or State)
Germany
Hi Sabrina,

you must be sure that the night temps never drop under 80 F when he is sick.
A higher humidity is a good thing, but only if it is not to cold any time night and day.
Does he eat and walk around ?

Sorry for saying this, cause you have spend so much money, but the new tank is not big.
Sulcata tortoises like to roam around in their enclosure. Your tort had not enough space to walk a lot. Imagine in nature they walk a lot searching for food. They need this to train their muscles.
Tortoises may by tiny, but they are strong animals.

Bee62

Germany
Edizzle 888 said
FYI buy a no see through tote from Walmart. Works better and it's cheap.

I agree.
And please take the biggest one you can get. Or take two and with a hole in each side of them the tort has more space.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Sabrina:

At two years of age, a sulcata is way too big to live in that aquarium. Even the plastic tote Edizzle shows would be too small. Tortoises need to do a lot of walking in order to have a healthy gut system. They can get constipated if not allowed exercise.

Please re-read the sulcata care sheets and make the necessary adjustments to the way you are caring for your tortoise.

Edizzle888

5 Year Member
Las Vegas
The one in the pic yes..but they come in many shapes and sizes. It was just an example I found on google.

Edizzle888

5 Year Member
Las Vegas
If you must keep them in something like that a tote is way better and cheaper than a glass tank

Mines are 2 years as well. They sleep in the totes with CHE. During the day they are outside.
You'll get great and the best advice here....just some of it is unrealistic for most people with sulcatas.

Unrealistic but technically 100% correct.

saginawhxc

Saginaw, Michigan, USA
You'll get great and the best advice here....just some of it is unrealistic for most people with sulcatas.

Unrealistic but technically 100% correct.
People that keep sulcata tortoises have chosen to keep a massive tortoise. Asking them to act accordingly and provide it an appropiate amount of space is not unrealistic.

For the record this isn't aimed at all people that keep their animals in enclosures that are too small, because some people just don't realize how much space these animals require even at a young age, but the whole point of a site like this is to share information and promote better husbandry.

One last note, I also don't personally have a problem with those that tote them for the night, but I feel like it isn't the best long term solution and is no substitute for a proper night box.

Sabrina, welcome to the forum. The advice people like Yvonne and Tom give is always spot on. Even the advice that Edizzle gives isn't bad for a really small tortoise. His idea about keeping them in totes is in no way bad, but for a growing tortoise bigger is always better.

Edizzle888

5 Year Member
Las Vegas
Like I said your advice is perfect. And I fallow it 100% but....we all know most of us do not have acres of land or the right housing. Your advice works wonder but most people will not fallow it because they can't afford or don't have the skills to build.
Your answer will be then don't have sulcatas....that will keep nobody from purchasing.

Edizzle888

5 Year Member
Las Vegas
My advice above was aimed at people who can't buy large tanks. . Rather than them saying that's why I keep em in a small one letting them know you have options.