Sulcata uvb lighting

Status
Not open for further replies.

Atra42o

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Baltimore, Md
Anyone know if these are ok to use, and if so, can it be used in the light fixture that originally came w/the tank?

image-2698843391.png

Attachments

• image-3649311497.png
    image-3649311497.png
    35.1 KB · Views: 29

Ethan D

5 Year Member
Nebraska
Atra42o said:
Anyone know if these are ok to use, and if so, can it be used in the light fixture that originally came w/the tank?

View attachment 24253

I have used them before, although, not for a tortoise, but they worked well for me, and i couldn't say about the light fixture, because i don't know what it looks like.

StudentoftheReptile

5 Year Member
Alabama
I would definitely use them over any type of compact florescent bulb, mercury vapor bulb, or t-5 tube florescent bulb.

tortle

5 Year Member
Phoenix, AZ
You just have to make sure the fixture and the bulb are the right watts, and check if you need a T5 or T8 and check what length bulb you'll need for your fixture.

Atra42o

5 Year Member
Baltimore, Md
Thanks so much guys!!! I'm happy to report that my baby is now VERY active more often and also urinating more (w/occasional urates) and defecating ALOT, and I've only had the compact florescent off for about 13 hrs! He even devoured his food bowl w/i I'd say 15 mins. He usually picks at it all day and then grazes outside =) I'm so thankful for this forum and it's members

Atra42o

5 Year Member
Baltimore, Md
Atra42o said:
Thanks so much guys!!! I'm happy to report that my baby is now VERY active more often and also urinating more (w/occasional urates) and defecating ALOT, and I've only had the compact florescent off for about 13 hrs! He even devoured his food bowl w/i I'd say 15 mins. He usually picks at it all day and then grazes outside =) I'm so thankful for this forum and it's members

Oops! Wrong thread lol... Thanks for all ur help guys

StudentoftheReptile

5 Year Member
Alabama
tortle said:
You just have to make sure the fixture and the bulb are the right watts, and check if you need a T5 or T8 and check what length bulb you'll need for your fixture.

Do NOT use a t-5 bulb! They are too bright, and just as bad as the compacts. Stick to t-8s and t-10s.

Atra42o

5 Year Member
Baltimore, Md
StudentoftheReptile said:
Do NOT use a t-5 bulb! They are too bright, and just as bad as the compacts. Stick to t-8s and t-10s.

What are t-5, 8, and 10's? This is the bulb I plan on using and it does work w/my fixture. Is it a t-5? Also, what do I look for so I don't buy one by mistake?

image-3941062496.png

tortle

5 Year Member
Phoenix, AZ
The T's are referencing the diameter of the bulbs. I think the one you have might be a T8. It will usually say on the box or if it's online, in the description.

StudentoftheReptile

5 Year Member
Alabama
Yeah, T-5's are about the diameter of your ring or pinky finger, very skinny! The only T-5s I know of that are marketed for reptiles are from the Zilla Desert series.

T-8s are pretty standard for most aquarium & reptile UV bulbs, about the diameter of a ping pong ball.

T-10s are not as common, and about the diameter of a golf ball.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
That bulb will work fine. Just always make sure to get him real sunshine too, as I don't trust those florescent tubes as a sole source of UV.

Atra42o

5 Year Member
Baltimore, Md
I think mine is a t-8... It looks like a regular florescent bulb, not skinny.

Tom said:
That bulb will work fine. Just always make sure to get him real sunshine too, as I don't trust those florescent tubes as a sole source of UV.

Will do =) will it be ok to only use the UVB light during the winter? I dont know if the weather will be ok to take him out, it gets really cold during the winter months (nov, dec, Jan & feb). Is there anything else I can do?

Atra42o

5 Year Member
Baltimore, Md
I just checked the bulb in the fixture that came w/the tank and it is a t-8 and it's 24", it says it right on the bulb... Thanks, cuz I never would have thought to look for something like that

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Atra42o said:
I think mine is a t-8... It looks like a regular florescent bulb, not skinny.

Tom said:

Will do =) will it be ok to only use the UVB light during the winter? I dont know if the weather will be ok to take him out, it gets really cold during the winter months (nov, dec, Jan & feb). Is there anything else I can do?

My preference for tortoises that live where there is a frozen winter is to use a mercury vapor bulb. You can still use your tube to light everything up and keep the enclosure brighter. Then when warmer weather and sunning time comes back, you can pack your MVB away and save it, and just use a regular incandescent flood bulb for the times your tortoise is indoors and needs warmth. After about 6 months the UV output on the fluorescent tube will drop off, but they still do a fine job of lighting the enclosure and letting the tortoise know its daytime when indoors.

Atra42o

5 Year Member
Baltimore, Md
Tom said:
My preference for tortoises that live where there is a frozen winter is to use a mercury vapor bulb. You can still use your tube to light everything up and keep the enclosure brighter. Then when warmer weather and sunning time comes back, you can pack your MVB away and save it, and just use a regular incandescent flood bulb for the times your tortoise is indoors and needs warmth. After about 6 months the UV output on the fluorescent tube will drop off, but they still do a fine job of lighting the enclosure and letting the tortoise know its daytime when indoors.

Ok, it doesn't start getting chilly about mid September, so I have a few weeks before I'll need it. Do u recommend any certain type and/or brand? I can only find them at Petsmart and Petco. I don't remember the brands, but the cheapest one Petsmart carries is $80, Petco cheapest is $100, but all their stuff is always WAY over priced. Do u know where I might find them any cheaper, or are they all about the same?

Tom said:

Also, will I still have to use the heat lamp w/the MVB?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Do a google search for "Powersun" or mercury vapor bulb. You can find them cheaper online.

The mercury vapor bulb gives you heat, light and UV all in one. Use a ceramic fixture with a large dome, point it straight down, and adjust the height to get your basking temp where you want it.

Atra42o

5 Year Member
Baltimore, Md
Tom said:
Do a google search for "Powersun" or mercury vapor bulb. You can find them cheaper online.

The mercury vapor bulb gives you heat, light and UV all in one. Use a ceramic fixture with a large dome, point it straight down, and adjust the height to get your basking temp where you want it.

K, last question lol... Should I get 100w or the 160w? They are so much cheaper on line, I found one site where they are on sale for under $50 w/free shipping. Thanks again =)

Status
Not open for further replies.