Sulcata Substrate Problems

tarheel

5 Year Member
Looking for some expertise here... I have a young Sulcata (1 year). When I first go him, per the advice of my vet, I used repticarpet as his substrate. The vet recommended it because she said sometimes coco noir substrate can irritate little Sulcata eyes, noses, and tummys.

Yesterday, in an effort to improve his enclosure, I switched to coco coir. He seemed hesitant but by the end of the day was digging and frolicking (or as close as a tortoise can get to frolicking). However today, I think he got some in his eyes and both eyes became white, irritated and puffy. To the point of being swollen shut. He kept rubbing his face on his arms and even on my hands. I quickly used a spray bottled and flushed his eyes. After about an hour (and periodic flushing) the swelling went down.

I have since switched back to the repticarpet but feel as if there must be a better option out there. Is he still to young for coir? Is there something else I could try that would still allow him to dig?

ascott

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Apple Valley, California
You can use ;

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Premier-3-cu-ft-Peat-Moss-70976040/100626048

But, when you use any type of earth type substrate you will want to plan to initially wet it enough to allow it to be firmly hand packed down little by little as you add more and more to get to at least a 5-6 inch depth....and when you initially add water it will take AAAAAA LOOOONNNNGGGG time for the water to soak in...but be patient and then be patient a bit longer....and firmly firmly hand pack the substrate down--this will allow a firm footing for the tort to move about...this will also allow the tort to walk about without the earth sticking to every eye and nostril .....lol....

If the tort has some stuck to its face, take the tort out and then gently pour tepid water over the tort (including their head) and give a good rinsing.....:D

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
I've been using coir for hatchlings for years and never had that issue or any other issue. It needs to be damp, and you need to pack it down with your hand. Its not a good substrate to be used dry.

Do you have a UV bulb? What type and is it new?