substrate

Status
Not open for further replies.

meacreynolds

5 Year Member
What is the best substrate to use with sulcatas for the indoor pen? They will be in the barn for the winter, rainy, and cold days.

coreyc

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Massachusetts
Welcome to the forum :)you can use cypress mulch how big are your sulcatas ? can you post some pic's of them ?:)

M

Maggie Cummings

I think that depends on how big they are. I use cypress mulch or fine grade orchid bark for my smaller tortoises and I just have a plywood floor in Bob's shed. The bare floor makes it easier to clean the mess from a bigger tortoise. In my opinion. Bob is about 100 pounds.

meacreynolds

5 Year Member
Thank you for all ur help. I am loving this forum and how helpful everyone is. One picture is of our 4 Sulcatas eating together. We have rescued all but one of them, 1 russian,and 4 red eared sliders.

Sulcatas
Chester 41 lbs
Howie 10 lbs
Lumpy 3 to 4 years
Sammy 1 1/2 years

Russian
Rush Not sure roughly a couple years old

Red eared
Skeeter
Quagmire
Herbert
Bones

Musk/stinkpot
Gerty and Joey both a couple years old

meacreynolds said:
Thank you for all ur help. I am loving this forum and how helpful everyone is. One picture is of our 4 Sulcatas eating together. We have rescued all but one of them, 1 russian,and 4 red eared sliders.

Sulcatas
Chester 41 lbs
Howie 10 lbs
Lumpy 3 to 4 years
Sammy 1 1/2 years

Russian
Rush Not sure roughly a couple years old

Red eared
Skeeter
Quagmire
Herbert
Bones

Musk/stinkpot
Gerty and Joey both a couple years old

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Las Vegas, NV
I agree with Maggie on this, substrate for the smaller ones but the big ones don't really need it. I stopped using substrate for my Sulcata about 2 years ago, just to much of a hassle and he would push it all into one corner and just laid on bare wood...But if you are gonna use it for the shed cyprus mulch might be the cheaper way to go to fill a big space..

Status
Not open for further replies.