Stubborn tortoise eater!

speedyTortoise

Location (City and/or State)
North Carolina
Hello everyone! My tortoise is very, very, very VERY stubborn. I accidentally got him used to a diet of pepper and carrots and butter lettuce (at least it’s not iceberg), and I got him off of it on a diet of butter lettuce, arugula, and weeds from the garden. Then, we moved, and he reverted straight back to his original bad diet! This was 5 weeks ago. Now, I am trying to get him back on the good diet, and he will not eat anything, not even the butter lettuce! He only eats carrots and pepper. Although, he seems fine and walks and digs like normal. Approximately how long will it take for him to realize I won’t give him any more pepper or carrots? I still give him a little so he will eat something. I have heard tortoises are very stubborn, but he won’t starve himself, right? Also, any tips on how to approach this?

Megatron's Mom

North Little Rock, Arkansas
With the recent move, that is probably contributing to his picky eating.

I am far from experienced and definitely not an expert. When I asked on here about using more weeds and grasses from outside I was worried my tortes would forget about the other good stuff they ate. I was reassured they would not forget.

I'm going to guess its the move and you gave in to the stuff he wanted. If he was eating the other stuff. Maybe grate the carrot over the stuff he ate just to get him going. Then slowly back it off. It took mine more then a month, more like 3-4 when I tried to get them on something new. I had no idea what they ate before so I just started them on stuff I knew was good for them.

I bet he's just pouting and has you wrapped around his little finger :)

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
You have to prove how very, very, very, VERY stubborn YOU can be. Give him what you know is the right food for him and he will eventually eat it if he is not sick and if he is settled in his habitat.

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Newport Coast, CA
Approximately how long will it take for him to realize I won’t give him any more pepper or carrots?
Probably never, as you keep giving it to him! :)

He absolutely will not starve himself. It's not like with us mammals, he can go a loooooong time without eating and be just fine.

This is one of those situations where it truly is harder on you than him. Stay strong.

Sarah2020

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
London, UK
Tortoise graze so food in the morning available all day and removed at around 17.00 ish. They learn to eat when food is there and it is not there 24 x7 and also chop up new introductory food small. They smell all food before eating and if they do not like it they avoid it. Persevere and you will have success. They will rarely clear the dish and pick what they want.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Tortoise graze so food in the morning available all day and removed at around 17.00 ish. They learn to eat when food is there and it is not there 24 x7 and also chop up new introductory food small. They smell all food before eating and if they do not like it they avoid it. Persevere and you will have success. They will rarely clear the dish and pick what they want.
Happy Birthday!

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Thanks everyone for the advice! Today I will sprinkle arugula over his carrots. Also, happy birthday Sarah!
You are not listening. STOP with the carrots and pepper, or continue to suffer along with your tortoise! Kindly offered advice.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Thanks everyone for the advice! Today I will sprinkle arugula over his carrots. Also, happy birthday Sarah!
They are all stubborn. And its not necessarily stubborn, its that they don't like to eat things they are not familiar with, and we have to persevere to get them familiar with new and better foods and eating right.

Stop feeding carrots. That is not good for them.

speedyTortoise

North Carolina
Ok everyone! No more carrots or pepper for him! Although, if he doesn't eat at all for a few days, may I sprinkle a bit of carrots or pepper over his good greens? Or do I completely stop giving him carrots and pepper?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Ok everyone! No more carrots or pepper for him! Although, if he doesn't eat at all for a few days, may I sprinkle a bit of carrots or pepper over his good greens? Or do I completely stop giving him carrots and pepper?
You can finely mince, blend, or grate a small amount of carrot or bell pepper and throughly mix that all in with chopped up greens to help get him to eat them. Blended cucumber mush often works for this too. But the much needs to be a very small amount percentage wise. Its just there for smell and some taste.

speedyTortoise

North Carolina
You can finely mince, blend, or grate a small amount of carrot or bell pepper and throughly mix that all in with chopped up greens to help get him to eat them. Blended cucumber mush often works for this too. But the much needs to be a very small amount percentage wise. Its just there for smell and some taste.
Ok, got it. Thanks.