Squawking Sulcata?

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Lewisville, Texas
Hey, guys! Every now and then, my sully will make a pretty loud skwaking sound a few times in succession. I actually got to see him do it today. He opens his mouth to do it, so I think it might be voluntary. His eyes and nostrils are clear, and he is a VERY healthy eater.
I can’t seem to get a video of him doing it, but has anyone ever experienced this? He’s about 1 1/2 years old, and if I measure around the curve, his shell is 7 inches long.

Jay Bagley

Michigan
Hey, guys! Every now and then, my sully will make a pretty loud skwaking sound a few times in succession. I actually got to see him do it today. He opens his mouth to do it, so I think it might be voluntary. His eyes and nostrils are clear, and he is a VERY healthy eater.
I can’t seem to get a video of him doing it, but has anyone ever experienced this? He’s about 1 1/2 years old, and if I measure around the curve, his shell is 7 inches long.
I can't tell you why they do it, but I'm very glad you posted this. My little guy does it too, he tends to do it when he is soaking I'm also very curious on what it is. Good question.

Bambam1989

East Texas
Do you happen to notice if he does it shortly after he eats? I think it may be a way of clearing stuff out of where their sinuses connect with their mouths. Perhaps water or a piece of food. I have only heard this once from my tort and that was a few minutes after eating a very juicy piece of aloe vera. I assumed some of the juice residue had gotten stuck in there and he was working it out. Sort of clearing his throat..

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
Do you happen to notice if he does it shortly after he eats? I think it may be a way of clearing stuff out of where their sinuses connect with their mouths. Perhaps water or a piece of food. I have only heard this once from my tort and that was a few minutes after eating a very juicy piece of aloe vera. I assumed some of the juice residue had gotten stuck in there and he was working it out. Sort of clearing his throat..

Hmm, not sure if this was before or after I fed him, but it was around that time. I’m gonna go ahead and assume that you’re right. Thank you!