Spray On Vitamins?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hippiesicle

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Phoenix AZ
My desert tortoise gets real finiky when I try to sprinkle a Ca supplement on her food. I just saw these spray-on supplements at a small pet store recently. I believe Exoterra makes them. They had a calcium and a multi-vitamin. Anyone have any luck with these?

bettinge

5 Year Member
Upstate NY
I have not tried them, but am interested in others experiences as well!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Some people make the mistake of using too much of the sprinkle on supplements. Try using only a tiny pinch of the stuff.

Yvonne

(Haven't heard any pros or cons about the spray on vit)

bettinge

5 Year Member
Upstate NY
Yvonne, You make an interesting point! When you say to just sprinkle on a little bit, what does that mean?.......so every bite has a very small amount, or every 5-10 bites has a little bit. I am probably guilty of using too much calcium and vitamens when dusting. I guess I want everything covered so the tort cannot eat around the healthy stuff!

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
I would be careful with anything that is not pure calcium. You want to know exactly what is in it, and if it is beneficial and natural for the tort. if you post the ingredients here someone can give their opinion. I know some of the supplements are more filler than good stuff.

Hopefully someone can take a picture of calcium sprinkled on greens. I'll try to remember at breakfast tomorrow. :) I think a very fine and even sprinkle is key, no chunks. I would start with a very small amount and increase to the point where the tort can tolerate more of it, or up to a point before it doesn't tolerate it. If you have a cuttlebone out, supposedly they will also attack that if they need more. My tort recently discovered it after it sat in there for 4 months. It now has baby nibbles in it!

I find it easier to sprinkle the very fine calcium dust by taking a small pinch, and actually taping my fingers together to let it float down on top of the food, instead of placing bits of it, if you can understand that statement. It sticks better to moist greens too.

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
Sorry for the delay! Here's what Trevor had for breakfast today. What does everyone think on the Calcium ratio?

aetx76.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.