Speedy's Substrate and Vet?

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Speedmister

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
UK
Hi,

I have a beautiful Russian tortoise called Speedy, who is about four. He is going to a vets tomorrow so we will know for sure if he is a girl or boy! He also needs his nails cut, and the knowledgable reptile vet will do that too.

I am England and it is quite warm these days, but apparently it is going to be chilly tomorrow. . . so how does everyone think I should transport him (he will be in a cardboard box, vets is only 15 mins or so away). With a hot water bottle?

Anyway, we were advised by experts to keep him in hemp bedding, which is quite dry. He makes 'poof' sounds regularly; is he ill or is it the dryness? I am reluctant to add moisture unnecessarily, because I do not want it to get mouldy. He does get a daily warm soak.

I would appreciate any thoughts on the hemp, because as I am at the vets tomorrow, I should be ready to ask about any possible problems.

Thank-you very much; please reply!

jeffbens0n

5 Year Member
Glenmoore, PA
I am not familiar with the hemp, but Russians should definitely have some humidity in their enclosure. 50-60% humidity will do. I would think that hemp would be able to hold some humidity if you kept it moist. As for transporting him, he should be fine for a short distance in just a small shoe box with some bedding or a paper towel in it.

bikerchicspain

5 Year Member
spain
I hate hemp and any other reptile substrate from pets shopos with a passion,
I use a substrate that is ecological and no chemicals.
My Russian loves it, she digs for hours on end from one end to the next.

It hold moisture very well, I pour a jug of water on it,leave it for 10 mins, then with a small plant pot spade turn it all over so it is distributed evenly, that way it's not to much but just enough to hold when digging,

It cost me 6 Euros for a 80L bag....

He should not be making any sounds at all part from when you hear them digging.
For short transport I would as jeffbenson said use a small shoe box with an old tea towel to wrap him in...

Mean Guy

5 Year Member
When do you hear the huffing? is it when he is digging or when you are reaching into him. They huff or hiss when they pull their heads back as a result of escaping air. It is not intentional like the hiss of a snake. Are there fibers floating around in his enclosure? he may be inhaling them and trying to expel them as a result. Keeping the humidity up may cut down on that, but I am with Yvonne on the recommendation for substrate. Although I don't really have the experience to make a professional call on it, there is something about it that worries me. Good luck at the vet. :)

Paige Lewis

5 Year Member
Swansea, UK
Welcome to the forum and how did Speedy get on at the vets? Where about from the uk are you?

The Speedmister

5 Year Member
UK
Hi,

Speeds is a little boy!

Speedy makes a little 'poof' noise every 30 seconds or so, not just when digging. It is not hissing or retreating into his shell; he does it when happily playing. Sometimes it is a sharp 'po', others it is long and breathy like 'pooof', and he also regularly makes a 'chickachickapOOof' noise. It is bizarre, I know. When he eats, he smears his face with food every time (he's only four)! he makes weird little 'uuh' sounds, rather pathetic really - and sneezes too. Is this because he fills is nostrils with food? I know he is hopeless!

The vets went well. Apart from him being frightened by a (in my opinion, though I know some love them) terrifying American Bull Dog, it went well and he was well behaved. The nurse knew tortoises well, so she weighed him and gave him a check (that took about an hour)! He is 320 grams, four years old and a boy. Unfortunately he is showing very slight signs of pyramiding - the people before fed him those horrible protein pellets. He is on a great diet now and gets lots of sunlight, so he should not get worse.

Thanks

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
The pyramiding is not caused by "protein pellets". We have officially debunked that myth. There are several factors involved; sunshine, exercise, humidity, calcium and a good diet.

Humidity and hydration are, in my opinion, the biggest factor. Dry substrate is a big contributor. Its not something you did as the first four years sealed that deal. Switching to a better substrate now won't make it go away, but it will improve any future growth. You might also consider a humid hide box for him. Does he have a water bowl? Just watch your temps if you do add humidity. The evaporation that gives you the humidity also cools everything down.

Status
Not open for further replies.