Some help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Osmbr

5 Year Member
Hi I'm new here and I'm going to be getting a male red foot tortoise and was wondering do they need to have a UVB bulb I read the website from the sticky, it states they don't need it and all they use is regular aquarium light and a ceramic heat emitter, and if they do in fact need a UVB bulb what type should I get I have a 10.0 reprising on my tegu and my bearded dragon, so please let me know and also this is an awesome forum!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi Osmbr:

Welcome to the Tortoise Forum!!

What would you like us to call you? and may we know appx. where in the world you are?

A strong UVB light, such as a mercury vapor bulb, isn't really as necessary for a redfoot as it is for, say, a sulcata. Quite a few redfoot keepers get by with the fluorescent tube-type UV bulbs.

I think the Forum is pretty awesome too, but thanks for saying so!!

Osmbr

5 Year Member
Thanks so say the same uv bulb I use for my beardie will do? I'm in San Jose, ca and my name is manny I am a reptile lover basically I have a argentine tegu rescue, a bearded dragon, albino columobian boa, pastel red group columobian boa, 15 different tarantula species, albino pack man frog and now I wanna add a tortoise! I want to find a local breeder instead of purchasing one online if you know of any around the bay area??

bigred

10 Year Member!
Southern California
As long as he gets some real sun often I dont think its that important. Mine dont have one but mine get alot of outside time everytime the sun comes out ck out Redfoots.com

Osmbr

5 Year Member
ok, so if say i leave him outside on the weekends he should be pretty good i mean just while the sun is out and it is over 60 degrees right?? i just dont want him gettin sick or dieing would a low output uv light for indoors be ok i mean it cant hurt him right!

Redstrike

10 Year Member!
New York
Our UVB bulbs do an okay job at providing some output for our torts, but you can't beat real sunlight. If you're located in a temperate climate, pick up a UVB bulb for winter use. If you're located in a region that stays relatively warm and sunny for the winter, frequent outdoor time would be excellent for your tortoise.

I live in the northeast, so outdoor time is not currently possible. I run a Zoo Med Reptisun 10.0 tube bulb in the middle of my enclosure and have a Zoo Med Powersun MVB on the warm end. A Reptisun 5.0 is probably fine, I use a 10 because it's ~ 20 inches from the tortoises and wanted to be sure they got some UVB from the bulb. The MVB may be good for basking, but I'm finding that my hatchlings aren't under it nearly as much as I had anticipated and am toying with the idea of replacing it with a standard basking bulb when it dies.

I'll leave you with this, UVB = necessary...in my opinion.

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
UVB is very helpful, but if the tortoises will get about an hour of good, unfiltered sun it is not a big deal.

Few head-to-head long-term studies have been done on what is the best UVB bulb for tortoises, but an interesting study on chameleons got the best results with long, low-output UVB bulbs, so I would not recommend the 10.0's.

Also- be aware that not all bulbs, even those that claim 'high-output', actually put out useful levels. russiantortoise.org has actually tested several bulbs and found some interesting results.

Osmbr

5 Year Member
Wow thanks for all the information!!! I'm going to be placing one in there to be on the safe side i live in ca so it's relatively warm in spring and summer I'll be placing him outdoors then!!

Status
Not open for further replies.