soft plastron

Status
Not open for further replies.

Linzbragg

5 Year Member
I mist Franklin's topsoil a few times a say with warm water and he also likes to lay out in a shallow plate if water sometimes while he's basking. I was testing his shell and the plastron seems to be a little soft. He's about a yr+. Any thoughts? I am getting this tortoise care thing down, but this seems to be the only place I can go to for reliable info. So I'm sorry for all the Q's all the time, but they're greatly appreciated!

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
CA
It is not unusual for a yearling to still be soft, as long as he does not start going soft, then there should be no worries. Is he getting calcium and sunshine?

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
I would move the water away from the basking area so that he doesn't spend to much time just laying in the water.

Linzbragg

5 Year Member
dmmj said:
It is not unusual for a yearling to still be soft, as long as he does not start going soft, then there should be no worries. Is he getting calcium and sunshine?

It's super cold in VA now for real sun, but he lays under his basking lamp a lot. Also, I give him calcium on all of his food. Is carpace is very hard though.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
A soft plastron is not from water, its from lack of calcium and/or UV. Does he have a UV bulb for your winters? Does he get sun all summer long? Do you give the calcium every day? That might be too much. An excess of calcium can interfere with the absorption of other important minerals and vitamins, but it shouldn't make the plastron soft. It should feel kind of like plastic. Some give, if you push on it, but still pretty solid.

Linzbragg

5 Year Member
Tom- I just got him this winter (bad timing I know, but that's what happened so I'm doing et I can!) So idk about how his past summers have been, but the girl I got him from didn't mention giving him calcium & I didn't know to ask. His plastron does feel like the bottom of a hard Tupperware dish, firm but gives more in the middle than the sides. You've made me feel a lot better! I give him the tip of a spoon each of calcium+vitD and Herptivite multivitamin and he gets plenty of UVB. I had to change et about her set up and thanks for the info from you guys, he has changed totally for the better in looks and personality!
Dalano- he also gas a dry spot with a slate and dirt to lay on while he's basking. He's not always in the water but when he is, he's so relaxed and sometimes he flaps his front legs back and forth, splashing water on his back, so adorable;) That's something he wouldn't do when I first got Franklin!

Status
Not open for further replies.