Snapped lower beak

Callum1941

Location (City and/or State)
Newcastle
Hi all, i recently noticed that jerry has managed to snap the bottom of his beak. Will this heal on its own, just looking for some advice on what i should do 😀

Thanks

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 8

zovick

10 Year Member!
Hi all, i recently noticed that jerry has managed to snap the bottom of his beak. Will this heal on its own, just looking for some advice on what i should do 😀

Thanks
It looks as though the tortoise has an underbite. A good vet should be able to trim both beaks and correct the issue which should prevent it from happening again in the future. Note that to completely correct the bite might take several different visits over the course of 12-18 months. It's kind of like taking your child to the orthodontist which usually takes a couple of years.

Callum1941

Newcastle
It looks as though the tortoise has an underbite. A good vet should be able to trim both beaks and correct the issue which should prevent it from happening again in the future. Note that to completely correct the bite might take several different visits over the course of 12-18 months. It's kind of like taking your child to the orthodontist which usually takes a couple of years.
Alright thanks for the reply, my main concern was this becoming a major health issue if i dont get get him to the vet, so is this kind of thing kinda normal? And will he be ok even if the bottom bit that is broken completely falls off? I will be taking him for an annual check up late this year so would it be ok to leave it until then you think?

Thanks 😀

Sarah2020

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
London, UK
Hi I would get it attended to and filled down, it will be a bit like you having a broken nail and having to cope with it. If you have a vet I would make an appointment for claw and beak check and file or if you have a friendly competent reptile shop contact them to see if they have someone who know what they are doing.