sleepy tortoise

Status
Not open for further replies.

jellie1989

5 Year Member
hello i have recently just got a horsefield tortoise he's 5 years old , the first few days he was ok now he just goes and burrows in the mud and sleeps! , he has a table with mud and sand and a basking bulb and uvb bulb. does anybody have any tips on how to get him more active. im really worried he seems to be not eating anything

thanks

coreyc

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Massachusetts
Welcome to the TFO:) what are your temp's and what kind of bulb do you have is it a coil bulb?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi jellie1989:

Welcome to the forum!!

May we know your name and where you are?

It sometimes takes a new turtle or tortoise a couple weeks to settle into his new environment, but before we can offer you some suggestions, we need to know more about how you care for him:

How big is the habitat?
What kind of hiding place?
What brand/type of UV light?
What is/are the temperature/temperatures inside the habitat?
What kind of food are you offering?

That should get us started. :p

The lady you got him from said he doesn't need a temperature? I'm confused.

Your habitat needs to be above 80 degrees for the tortoise to be able to digest his food. You can't know if he's warm enough unless you buy a thermometer and check the temperature. He might be "sleeping" because he's too hot (and the light is cooking him) or because he's too cold (and he's trying to hibernate). So buy a thermometer and check those temperatures! Its VERY important.

jellie1989

5 Year Member
im dave and im from the uk

the table is 4 feet wlong and 3 feet wide
he has a stone built hideaway
exo terra bulb ( see link earlier)
ive offered kale, dandelion leafs , rocket , courgette

thank you for the quick replys

emysemys said:
Hi jellie1989:

Welcome to the forum!!

May we know your name and where you are?

It sometimes takes a new turtle or tortoise a couple weeks to settle into his new environment, but before we can offer you some suggestions, we need to know more about how you care for him:

How big is the habitat?
What kind of hiding place?
What brand/type of UV light?
What is/are the temperature/temperatures inside the habitat?
What kind of food are you offering?

That should get us started. :p

The lady you got him from said he doesn't need a temperature? I'm confused.

Your habitat needs to be above 80 degrees for the tortoise to be able to digest his food. You can't know if he's warm enough unless you buy a thermometer and check the temperature. He might be "sleeping" because he's too hot (and the light is cooking him) or because he's too cold (and he's trying to hibernate). So buy a thermometer and check those temperatures! Its VERY important.

i don't think she knew too much about tortoises his home was wrong , i will purchase a thermometer and get it checked right away , what are the correct temps for outside? as i have an outdoor pen for him

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Dave:

As long as the sun is shining and he's in a sheltered area, he'll be able to warm up even if its a little on the cool side. I'm glad you have an outside pen for him. That's the very best thing you can do.

jellie1989

5 Year Member
emysemys said:
Hi Dave:

As long as the sun is shining and he's in a sheltered area, he'll be able to warm up even if its a little on the cool side. I'm glad you have an outside pen for him. That's the very best thing you can do.

its 15°C n rather cloudy is this too cold?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
That's pretty cool. Can you keep him indoors and under the light until it warms up a bit more?

jellie1989

5 Year Member
emysemys said:
That's pretty cool. Can you keep him indoors and under the light until it warms up a bit more?

yes hes indoors now, how close should the uv/basking bulb be to his habitat? how many hours a day should it be on? sorry theres so much different information out there. also he has a heat mat on the wall of his bedding area, the lady told me to put it on at night when his bulb is off, is that wrong?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Usually the lights come with instructions that tell you how close to the floor of the habitat it should hang. Each brand is different, but it seems like 12" is the norm. If the habitat isn't warm enough at 12", then maybe another light would be needed. A plain incandescent bulb would do, as you only need one UVB light. So, he needs to be upwards of 80 degrees on the warm side and upwards of 70 degrees on the room temp side. Then directly under the light it would be around 100 degrees. If you think the habitat is warm enough, then he's probably just stressed from being moved to a new home. Give him some time and he'll come around.

jellie1989

5 Year Member
thankyou for all of your help, much appreciated.

also when i take him out of his habitat he sits with me and is more active

Jacob

5 Year Member
California
Good Thing you dont have the coil bulb!
Your Bulb is okay!
Make Sure he gets natural sunlight, and baths everyday and he will come around!

jellie1989

5 Year Member
Jacob said:
Good Thing you dont have the coil bulb!
Your Bulb is okay!
Make Sure he gets natural sunlight, and baths everyday and he will come around!

i just gave him a bath and he has gone back to his hide , im going to get thermometer tomorrow and check temps , its supposed to be 20 degrees celsius tomorrow will this be warm enough?

im worried that he was ok a few days ago but now just wants to sleep

why is the coil bulb bad?

jellie1989

5 Year Member
dalano73 said:
The coil bulb blinds them, so they are bad for tortoise's

ok thanks just wanted to know , trying to digest as much as i can about my little friend

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
I have had my Sulcata for 5 years, 6 in December and I thought I was doing everything right, but once I found this forum I realized how little I knew. This forum and everyone on it has been a very big help to me...

jellie1989

5 Year Member
theres so much contradictive advice but im sure with your help on here i will get there

Status
Not open for further replies.