Sleeping Herman

smudger67

Hi all looking for some advice, I have two 7 month old hermans and the last month or so one of them just sleeps most of the day, is this normal ? She is eating ok and is bathed every other day, they are in a open table and have light and heat for approx 10 hours a day, They have been out doors since the sun has been out but come in as soon as the sun drops.

peschc

Location (City and/or State)
south central Minnesota
I am new here but I know that the more experienced members will want to know what your temps are in the enclosure and some pictures to help speed up the process :)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
There are many things that this might mean...too hot in the habitat, not warm enough, one is bullying the other (you may not see bullying. The more dominant tortoise just gives the more submissive one mental vibes, telling him to get out of the territory. The more submissive one can't get out, so he just hides). If you set them each up in their own habitat and the hiding tortoise all of a sudden comes alive, you'll know that he was being told to leave the area.

ziggythetort

I'm in a similar predicament. I have a 3 year old hermanns (ziggy), had him for 4 months. The last month he's been sleeping lots. He gets up about 10am, eats well, basks for 10-20 mins then goes back to bed. I get him/her up at 5 when I'm back from work for a soak and he'll eat again, bask again, then go to sleep.
Temps are 35-40 under lamp, 20-25 in cooler area. 17-23 at night.

I changed his table around last week and he was up for a good 5 hours exploring, but back to normal a day later.
Any advice? ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1398599446.595564.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1398599473.330749.jpg