Should two 11 year old be allowed ti hike without an adult.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Angi

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
La Mesa, CA.
I am in my 40s also and things were different. For one thing there wasn't much on TV. We didn't have cable. And yes I walked every where or rode my bike. Actually when I called my son to begin with it was because I was monitoring his F/B page. He doesn't use it much, but went on because his friend was over and he used a word he is NOT allowed to use. Porobably because he was showing off. Anyway he was in trouble for that. My oldest was so easy and my youngest is a good kid, but he is always on the go. Always has to have a friend over. Always has to push his limits. Sometimes I wish he would watch more TV LOL

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
Well, I raised 5 boys, and we always went hiking together. There's lots of trails and woods where I live. But I don't think I would let mine go hiking alone ...or with a friend...at 11. But I also live close to the city, and there are plenty of "bad people" to worry about, besides the usual happenings while you hike. Glad that your little guy is home safe now.

Angi

5 Year Member
La Mesa, CA.
Thanks Torty Mom!
And Terry 5 boys holy hell! That is a lot of boys. I went hiking or catching frogs with friends or siblings all the time when I was a kid. I don't want him to miss out on that kind of stuff, but I think I did things I should not have been allowed to do so young. I was about 5 or 6 and could go places on my own. It is a fine line. I don't want them to get hurt, but can't keep them with me all the time just so I don't worry. Anyway usually he is so busy with baseball or basketball he doesn't have time to roam the hills. One of the reasons I wanted to move here is so my boys could grow up with some open space.

Angi

5 Year Member
La Mesa, CA.
That is what I was thinking when he told me it was too hard to explain where he was. I will see if this is something he is going to continue doing and if it is get a GPS. I never thought they would go so far, but with little boys you just never know what they will do.

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
Angi said:
Thanks Torty Mom!
And Terry 5 boys holy hell! That is a lot of boys. I went hiking or catching frogs with friends or siblings all the time when I was a kid. I don't want him to miss out on that kind of stuff, but I think I did things I should not have been allowed to do so young. I was about 5 or 6 and could go places on my own. It is a fine line. I don't want them to get hurt, but can't keep them with me all the time just so I don't worry. Anyway usually he is so busy with baseball or basketball he doesn't have time to roam the hills. One of the reasons I wanted to move here is so my boys could grow up with some open space.

I think where you live is great for kids. I live in NY, and unfortunately I couldn't afford to be that lenient. MIne were a little wild as it was, so I can imagine where they would go if they lived there. :D

Angi

5 Year Member
La Mesa, CA.
Today he has a rash on his legs that I hope is not pioson oak and he said they were climbing up rock so they could see a hawks nest, but then his friend saw a bobcat and got scared. Yeah that was safe LOL....anyway bobcats don't usually let you see them. I have only seen one in 9 years so his friend might have imagined it. I guess I should be glad they didn't encounter any snakes since they were going though bush and climbimg up rocks. Well if he goes hiking again he will make sure he wears jeans instead of shorts. The poor kid only has one pair of long pants LOL!

tobibaby

5 Year Member
SoCal
as a hiker, i go 3x a week, however i never go alone, and never after 4 in the afternoon.. as a 11 yrs old, they should have an adult w/ them, it has nothing to do w/ no not trusting him or letting him be a boy.. there are too many different dangers, this is just my opinion

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
To answer the original question: NO. They are too young and too many things could go wrong. I had some really close calls at that age. Verizon has a program called "Chaperone". I'm sure most other cell companies do to. It makes it so you can track your sons cell phone from any computer or from your cell phone. Its really easy to use and only $10 a month. They also have proprietary GPS systems that work off the satellites around the world and do not rely on cell signals to work. They make them for hunting dogs, but your kid could simply put it in his pocket or in a back pack. They have some that if you get into any king of trouble, you just push a button and the appropriate help will be summoned, depending on where you are. If you have the adventurous type, I think it would be a wise investment.

Angi

5 Year Member
La Mesa, CA.
You are both probably right. I really thought he was just going up the little trail that I used to hike before my Lab got too old ,so I didn't even ask what way they were going. I am too big of a chicken to go with just my Rat Terrier. The whole climbing up rocks thing and leaving the trail really scared me. The friend is much more adventurous than my son. So they did things my son wouldn't have choose to do. Unfortunatly he is always up for a challenge from a friend. I can find humor in it now, but believe me last night I was worried and then I didn't know they were climbing rocks and leaving the trail. We do have Verizon so I will look into the Chaperon plan, if the poison oak didn't cure him of the hiking bug......

Status
Not open for further replies.