Should this work?

Status
Not open for further replies.

diamondbp

10 Year Member!
I think this may be the technique Tom described for hatching Sulcata eggs? I've successfully done this technique with box turtles, map turtles, and cooters so I'm hoping it will work for sulcata eggs. I have the eggs spaced an inch apart in 2.5inches of vermiculite. The lamp is a 100 watt bulb to keep the temperature warm and stable. Input would be great. Thanks!

Attachments

• image-428633750.png
    image-428633750.png
    1 MB · Views: 44

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
I'm not so sure about using a light for heat. If it were me and my eggs, I would invest in an incubator.

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
Torts need higher heat and more stable than your turtle species. You should buy a temp gun , so you can get accurate readings of what your stable temps are. Also a cup of H2o within the cooker will help keep humidty up , and help with "dry eggs" . I have hatched many of turtles with eggs left in the ground here in So Cal . or by digging them up and placing in a shoe box in the closet with no heat source at all. I have yet to do this with tortoise eggs .......but ya never know and I have herd of folks doing this with positive results.

JD~

diamondbp

10 Year Member!
Thanks for the feedback. I do have a temp gun and just checked it and it was on the higher end 96 so I put a lower wattage bulb and now it's stable at 83 with the humidity at 80% .I've hatched sulcatas like this before, but wanted to get some 2nd opinions. I'll keep updating as we go.

Status
Not open for further replies.