Should an import be taken to the vet even if it seems healthy?

CyndiG

Location (City and/or State)
Sacramento
My forstenii are eating fine. Although it seems like they should be eating more for their size. They are not showing any visual sign of illness. No discharge from the eyes, nostrils, or mouth. No signs of sores or wounds.

My boyfriend seems to think that they may still be housing parasites. He says that this species when wildcaught in particular is prone to unexpected losses, and that these tortoises when imported will seem to do fine for months, then all of a sudden just die.

He wants to take them to the University veterinary clinic, that specializes in treatments for birds and reptiles, and have them run fecals and other tests that they think might be needed. I'm wondering if its additional, unneeded stress. I hadn't planned on taking them for examination unless they showed symptoms of illness. Does he have the right idea?

keepergale

5 Year Member
san diego
How are their weights. Gaining or at the least holding even?

Linhdan Nguyen

Maryland
Its true that wild caught tortoises will have some degree of parasites. Mine did. I think your boyfriend wants to be more on the safe side to make sure there are no surprises later on. Its not a bad idea to go to the vet for a exam, but i personally wouldnt take them unless they show illnesses. I took my tortoises to the vet. One of them i was worried about, the other not at all. The one i wasnt worried about honestly could have done without the check up. Shes still perfectly healthy.
Its your call though, or its whatever you both agree on doing.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Because of the species, I'd listen to your BF.

Lincoln Michal

5 Year Member
It would not hurt to bring a fecal sample from each tortoise. I agree that you should not stress the tortoises if not necessary so bring the sample without the tortoises. Since they are eating well, How does their feces look? Healthy feces is firm without mucus. Also, Their nostrils should be clear and dry-no fluid or mucus coming out. When the tortoise breaths there should be no wheezing rasping sounds produced. To minimize stress do they have some hiding place? Don't pick them up to much.

CyndiG

Sacramento
How are their weights. Gaining or at the least holding even?

The weights have been consistent.

The one thing that I've noticed is that these tortoises actually drink. They dip their heads into the water and appear to be taking in water. This isn't something that I've seen in the Russian or Hermans tortoises that we have. I wasn't sure if that was a sign that they may be dehydrated or not. So they've been getting daily soaks. Based on the input I've received, I'm planning on calling and scheduling an appointment. Hopefully, I can get them in next week.

Aunt Caffy

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Texas
The weights have been consistent.

The one thing that I've noticed is that these tortoises actually drink. They dip their heads into the water and appear to be taking in water. This isn't something that I've seen in the Russian or Hermans tortoises that we have. I wasn't sure if that was a sign that they may be dehydrated or not. So they've been getting daily soaks. Based on the input I've received, I'm planning on calling and scheduling an appointment. Hopefully, I can get them in next week.
Is that your foot? If so, that's a great tattoo.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
I would at the very least get a fecal sample done to check for parasites. Wild-caught tortoises especially this species are notorious for housing parasites and dying months down the road. Better safe than sorry. if I recall correctly we just had member lose some.

CyndiG

Sacramento
We ended up taking them in, along with fecal samples. Every single sample had signs of round worms and hook worms, but at least appear to be clear of protozoans.

They're now on a regimen of Panacur every week, and will be tested again in three weeks. We've also been instructed to change all of the substrate and completely disinfect the quarantine tubs and everything inside them at least once a week if not twice, immediately remove any feces, and to change the water and disinfect the pans daily. We're hoping this will do the trick. In the meantime they're still eating well. The vet seems to think that the parasite load is still reasonably low, but said that the hook worms can multiply rapidly.

BrianWI

5 Year Member
Wisconsin
I would worm any wild caught tortoises or turtles no matter what. You can also get a cheap microscope online and look yourself.