Shell growth

Status
Not open for further replies.

SBeanie

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
California
I was wondering if someone has any ideas on how to "encourage" parts of a shell to continue growing like the others. I have noticed that part of sky's shell doesn't grow as fast as the other side. Is this normal for a russian? Or am I just being a worry wort? image.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Usually growth is relatively symmetrical. Other than providing a good environment, diet, sunshine, hydration and the right temps, I don't know what else you could do. If all of those things are covered, I wouldn't worry too much about it.

greyshirt

5 Year Member
Floresville, Texas
That lower growth ring is where my Russians always grow first and faster. Don't know if it's right, it's just what my do also.

biochemnerd808

10 Year Member!
Central Arkansas (we moved!)
I do see what you are talking about - how the center back scute seems to be 'stuck' to the one on the left of it. I don't normally recommend putting anything but water on a tortoise's shell, but maybe rubbing that spot with a little coconut oil or something would help lubricate it so it can 'pop' free and grow normally? Misting several times daily would help, too, I'd imagine.

My male RT grew very asymmetrically when I first brought him home. In reptiles everything happens slowly, so this was likely the result of his old owner (a second-grader) feeding too many tomatoes and fruit...

SBeanie said:
I was wondering if someone has any ideas on how to "encourage" parts of a shell to continue growing like the others. I have noticed that part of sky's shell doesn't grow as fast as the other side. Is this normal for a russian? Or am I just being a worry wort?

Status
Not open for further replies.