Shell flaking? Why?

Tortalini

Location (City and/or State)
Columbus, Ohio
Hey everyone

My red foot's shell looks like it is flaking around the scutes on his shell. I just noticed this about a week ago, but could find nothing about it online. It hasn't changed at all since I noticed it, so I don't know if it's something I should be concerned about.....

IMG_E2183.JPG IMG_E2186.JPG

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
I dont see any flaking.
Just signs of some pretty bad pyramiding.
What kind of enclosure do you use?
What kind of lighting?
I'm thinking too hot and too dry. But without more photo's I can't really give you a better theory.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
It just looks very dry to me. Give him more humidity in his living conditions. As a temporary fix you can rub in some cold pressed coconut oil, allow it to absorb for about 15 minutes then polish it off with a soft, absorbent cotton cloth.

Tortalini

Columbus, Ohio
Ok thanks. I've been using a tropical uvb and heat lamp kit for tortoises, so I don't know why it would be to hot. I think I'm not keeping it far enough above the tank. I just picked up a calcium and d3 supplement to put in his food to help with parimiding. When I purchased him he had already had the parimiding, so I'm just trying even it out now.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Those heat lamp "kits" often include a coiled compact UV BULB. These are not recommended for use with tortoises. And an incandescent heat bulb. Not a very good choice for warmth for a Redfoot. They are often too bright.
Calcium supplements won't do anything for the pyramiding. Pyramiding is caused by lack of humidity.
I suggest using a strip florescent 5.0 UV light.
This type distributes the UV in a better way and isn't too bright for the shade loving Redfoot.
Also, I'd use a CHE with an appropriate ceramic socket designed for heat.
If you hang a CHE inside of a closed chamber enclosure, the warmth will get distributed throughout the enclosure. And a CHE gives off no light. You don't want more light.
If you can let your animal outdoors for some sunshine a few hours a week. You can save money and don't buy a UV light at all.
A closed chamber will also hold in humidity.
Without a closed lid enclosure, it's going to be nearly impossible to get the parameters correct for your Redfoot.
It can be something elaborate or as simple as a giant plastic tote. But a Redfoot will need as large of an enclosure as you have the room.
Keep that in mind.
Buying the wrong stuff sucks. We always try to stop new members from spending money on the wrong stuff. But once you get set up correctly, things get much easier.

Attachments

• 20190719_123716.jpg
    20190719_123716.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 5
Last edited: