Shall I get a tortoise?

amberpilling

Hi everyone! So my friends bought me a tortoise for my birthday which I'm really excited about! I'm from the UK and just wanted to see what everyone's opinions were before buying the tortoise? Any pointers or tips that will help me?

Thank you!!!

Tyanna

Location (City and/or State)
Wisconsin
Welcome to TFO. You'll find great advice here. What kind of tortoise are you getting? That way we can help you the best way possible.

amberpilling

They decided on a horsefield tortoise, which is 4 years old. However after researching it seems a herrman is a better option, but I'm not entirely sure, because some websites say yes and some websites say no.. What do you think?

Tyanna

Wisconsin
My knowledge (I'm still new) is only for the Russian (or Horsfield) tortoise. Russians are great starter tortoises. They are very active and need lots of space, though. They don't get that big like some tortoises I see here. There are some links on the forum that have care sheets for each species of tortoise that I really advise looking into before you get any kind of tortoise.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I think a Russian (Horsefield's) tortoise is a good first tortoise.

Welcome to the Forum!

747117wei24kafiu.gif

amberpilling

Okay cool, thanks guys! I'm so excited, they're the cutest!
How small are russian tortoise, in comparison to others?

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
This is all my own opinion, OK?

Tortoises are weird pets, and need the right kind of keeper. You are more like a museum curator than a typical pet keeper. You need to do research for the right foods and cares, you need to spend a chunk to set up a good habitat, you need to manage the habitat a lot, and more- all for an animal you really won't see or interact with a lot.

Most of us who keep the animals for a long time tend to fall into a few categories. Most of us are just fascinated by these reclusive animals and can just get lost in watching their deliberate movements. Some live in a place we can let them loose in a garden space and think of them as almost wild animals that live in our yards. Some just love owning unusual animals and don't mind the work, and others are interested in breeding or research.

If you are the kind of person who tends to move from hobby or interest to new hobbies a lot, or that gets tired of 'always' having to care for a fish or dog, then a long-lived reptile is probably not for you. Ditto if time or money is often tight or if you have problems getting good access to food food items.

As far as species, Hermann's is probably a good choice, but I don't have a lot of experience with that species.

amberpilling

Yeah I totally agree, I am in a very stable situation to get one and to look after one, and I certainly do not see a tortoise as a 'hobby'.
Thanks anyways!

Reptilelove

Plymouth
Welcome to the forum! Im from the uk too! Were about may i ask? And make sure you check out the care sheets as they will help :)

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Last edited:

johnsonnboswell

5 Year Member
Our opinions don't matter. We're in it for the long haul. If you're not, don't do it. If you are, we'll give you all the help in the world.

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
Hello and welcome to the TFO from AZ, USA . Herrmann's are great torts .ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1407270521.838561.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using TortForum

amberpilling

Great! Thanks everyone! So glad I've found this so I've been able to read around! It's obviously better to read up first before fully deciding and I have been doing for about a year now, hence why they thought about getting me one!
I'll get swatting! Great photo too!!