Safe?

tortnmutt

Location (City and/or State)
Washington Coast
Is king's lupine safe? One of the planter boxes that I'm transforming into a daytime enclosure for my tort already has a lupine in it.
ImageUploadedByTortForum1395603575.703995.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

tortnmutt

Washington Coast
Well good thing I wasn't planning on eating it. In WY lupine grew wild on the ranch and the horses never touched it. Would the tort know to stay away?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Tortoises can usually handle alkaloids better than mammals, but, having said that, if I knew a plant to be toxic (which lupine is), I would not allow the plant in my tortoise pens.

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
Here is what the tortoise table has to say;

“Common name : Lupin
Latin name : Lupinus spp.
Family name : Fabaceae/Leguminosae (Pea family)

Plants from the Pea family are legumes and have a high protein content. A variety of toxic alkaloids are particularly associated with Lupins, the chief one being Lupinine, and the plant also contains dangerous enzyme inhibitors. It is also high in phosphorous and absorbs nitrogen from the soil. The level of toxicity depends upon season, species, and part of the plant, but young leaves, seeds, and pods are particularly toxic, and all parts of this plant should be avoided. Although a cultivated plant Lupins can often be seen growing in the wild."