russian tortoise fun?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Foothills above Sacramento CA
you Dont play catch... they were joking..
if you want something to 'play' with a dog or cat is a better match..
just like some breeds of dogs.. some are better at some things then others.. If you are a serious jogger, you wouldn't get a chihuahua...
like all the above.. they are best if watched and enjoyed.. not played with.

chase thorn

10 Year Member!
Colorado Springs, CO
I also like to watch mine eat and walk and trample over everything in their way, Even knock down a fence or two! My russian is my personal favorite as he is the one I care for. The sulcatas are for my dad :) Crush has an amazing personality and it is just so funny to watch him get over obstacles in his enclosure. I put things in there for him to climb on and check out like flat rocks and drift wood and hides. He also loves to dig and then move on and dig another hole. They are not the type of pet that you take on a car ride in my opinion. They're more of a observe and care for type animal :)

emmalaub

5 Year Member
OMG my mom keep saying she willl get him i bigger habitat but she keeps blowing it off by the way it cost 80 dollars

shellibelli72

5 Year Member
Missouri
Jacqui said:
I am going to go with the rest, I find nothing in the world as relaxing and entertaining as simply watching my tortoises being tortoises. It may be a box turtle on the hunt for a worm. As I watch one slowly stalk the prey, my imagination takes me back to another world, one filled with dinosaurs. Watching the way the turtles can swim so gracefully and effortlessly in the water, reminds me of how an eagle does the same thing in the sky.

I guess it's fun for me to take the hibiscus blooms and other goodies and hide them in the sulcata enclosure. They come running with those silly smirky clown grins on their face, until they spy food. Then they almost seem to apply squealing breaks, as they stop their forward rush to instead go in search to find all the goodies before the other guy can. How can you not smile at such a sight?

It's not just them always directly either, because of the enclosures outside, I have created a haven for other wildlife too. Butterflies float from bloom to bloom, tall grasses dance upon the slightest of breezes, while dragonflies with their almost transparent wings gracefully alight on plant stems. Between the soothing sounds of water twinkling, the birds scolding cats for getting too close to nests, or the chorus of the variety of bugs and frogs that call the tortoise enclosures home, the sounds of the hustle and bustle of people fade away.

For me, those things are all fun, as are also building and planting those enclosures. It's also fun for me, seeing what new food item I can find and then get the tortoises to eat.

So while it may not be having fun with your tortoise like you do with a dog or a cat, it has it's own very special and wondrous kind of fun.

I love this forum! :) Like minded people who love their shelled babies. If only I could get my hubby to have this passion for them like I do.....LOL

NinjaTortoises

5 Year Member
Cali
Jacqui said:
I am going to go with the rest, I find nothing in the world as relaxing and entertaining as simply watching my tortoises being tortoises. It may be a box turtle on the hunt for a worm. As I watch one slowly stalk the prey, my imagination takes me back to another world, one filled with dinosaurs. Watching the way the turtles can swim so gracefully and effortlessly in the water, reminds me of how an eagle does the same thing in the sky.

I guess it's fun for me to take the hibiscus blooms and other goodies and hide them in the sulcata enclosure. They come running with those silly smirky clown grins on their face, until they spy food. Then they almost seem to apply squealing breaks, as they stop their forward rush to instead go in search to find all the goodies before the other guy can. How can you not smile at such a sight?

It's not just them always directly either, because of the enclosures outside, I have created a haven for other wildlife too. Butterflies float from bloom to bloom, tall grasses dance upon the slightest of breezes, while dragonflies with their almost transparent wings gracefully alight on plant stems. Between the soothing sounds of water twinkling, the birds scolding cats for getting too close to nests, or the chorus of the variety of bugs and frogs that call the tortoise enclosures home, the sounds of the hustle and bustle of people fade away.

For me, those things are all fun, as are also building and planting those enclosures. It's also fun for me, seeing what new food item I can find and then get the tortoises to eat.

So while it may not be having fun with your tortoise like you do with a dog or a cat, it has it's own very special and wondrous kind of fun.

This is exactly how i feel, im just so drawn to them, i dont have to touch them or handle them to have fun, sometimes i just stare at them for a long time watching them trek around and eat and drink, my 4 little sullies keep me happy, i dont know why but i have a small dog and i cant help but picking him up and stuff but with my torts its the opposite, theyre just so easy to watch and admire, i guess just seeing them healthy and happy makes me happy haha

emmalaub

5 Year Member
Hey Guys it's just I NEED I way bigger tank for mine it's only a foot and a half bit my mom keeps shoving it away so I can't really admire it when it has NO ROOM!!!!

TortoiseBoy1999

5 Year Member
Palmdale CA
Hooray!!!! :D congrats! How big is it? There is nothing better than giving your tortoise more room to rome :)

Status
Not open for further replies.