Redfoot compatibility

Status
Not open for further replies.

redfootkid

5 Year Member
I just got a two month old cherry head redfoot when I turned 13. His enclosure is fine right now (a 4x2 foot sweater box with all the lighting and substrate). I was thinking that when he outgrows it I will get some glass cut and make it a custom size. I read green anoles could live with a rf so i want to get 2 of those. I was wondering if there is anything that could go with the tortoise and anoles. I'm open to anything that doesn't eat mice and doesn't get to big. Except for snakes my family doesn't like them, makes me feel like the black sheep lol.;)

ascott

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Apple Valley, California
I am giving your post a bump...I personally would not get to mixin different critters with your tort....BUUUUTTTT, that is my personal preference...with the bump to your post the others that have first hand experience will be able to give you some of their input :D

Redstrike

10 Year Member!
New York
The tortoise could eat the green anoles. Though the lizards are much quicker, the tortoise can corner them in the enclosure. Just something to think about.

There are a few on here that have hermit crabs with their redfoots - again they may be able to eat the crabs eventually. They work well together because the crabs need high humidity (70+) and warm temperatures (80-85) and function to clean up after the tortoises. Additionally, the crabs are nocturnal/crepuscular while the tortoises are primarily diurnal, so they may not bother each other much. I have no experience with this, hopefully others will chime in.

StudentoftheReptile

5 Year Member
Alabama
I'm kinda on the fence on this one. I am generally against mixed species habitats. However, I do acknowledge the success of hermit crabs with box turtles & redfoots.

Anoles and redfoots? I'd be hesitant on trying to keep tiny, quick insectivorous lizards with slow tortoises that eat mostly vegetation. Not just about whether or not a tortoise could eat an anole (I seriously doubt it could catch a healthy one), but what about a sick anole? Could it get any kind of disease/parasite from eating an anole? or eating anole feces? Also, how would you feed the anoles? Take them out and feed in a separate container so you don't have crickets hopping around the tortoise enclosure?

Then I think about...what about all of us in the Southeast U.S. who routinely keep redfoots outdoors, and there are likely anoles that periodically enter the enclosures? There's not much we can do to stop this (there was a similar discussion about wild lizards, snakes and toads recently). Major issues are slim & small, but still a real risk.

In an indoor captive environment, I probably wouldn't try it. Just a lot of work, aside from the health issues.

redfootkid

5 Year Member
ok i think i'm gonna read up on the hermit crabs. One more thing I was wondering is could any type of box turtle live with my redfoot?

Redstrike

10 Year Member!
New York
redfootkid said:
ok i think i'm gonna read up on the hermit crabs. One more thing I was wondering is could any type of box turtle live with my redfoot?

I'm not a fan of mixing tortoise species. They have different environmental requirments and you run the risk of parasite/pathogen transmission between them. Some have mixed boxies and redfoots with no issues, I'm just not a fan of this for the aforementioned reasons.

If it were me, I'd stick to single species environments and hermit crabs with the redfoots if anything else. The anoles sound cool, but I think Student of the Rep. summed up the rationale against it very nicely.

redfootkid

5 Year Member
Alright I'm gonna just stick to hermit crabs, The anoles and Box turtles are cool and all but if it could potentionally put my tort at risk then i'm not gonna do it.

RedfootsRule

5 Year Member
Miami, Florida
I've had success for several years keeping them with iguanas, however this would require a large outdoor enclosure.

Status
Not open for further replies.