red lump

Janet22

5 Year Member
hi i'm new to keeping tortoises and i've just lifted one out after his/her soak and noticed a pea shaped pink growth under her tail.looks like a small cyst.I will phone the vet tomorrow but does anyone know what it is or whether i need to do anything right now?it's a horsefield tortoise about 2-3 years old.she/he seems happy enough and is eating and pooping normally.thanks

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Earth
Welcome to the forum :)

Can you post a picture?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi and welcome!!

If you gently press on it does it go back up inside?

It is probably just the tip of his penis sticking out. That sometimes happens during a soak.

Janet22

5 Year Member
it doesn't go back inside when pressed but it didn't appear to distress him either.I'll try and get a photo on

Janet22

5 Year Member
she's at the vets as i type.he says its a prolapse and he's going to pop it back in and do investigations to see why it happened.The vet says she should be fine but i hope my husband doesn't find out how much it's costing me.....

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
I am glad she is at the Vet's. I am wishing you all the luck with this. I won't spill the beans to your hubby either. ;)

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Hoping the vet is a experienced tort vet....but especially sending good wishes for a great outcome...

Janet22

5 Year Member
she's home and seems fine.yes he is a tort vet and he was great with her.she needed worming too so guess where my other tort is going tomorrow!thanks for your concern everybody,this is a great site with really friendly,helpful people.