Red foot tortoise

Status
Not open for further replies.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Apple Valley, California
Cute little tort...and by the way as a comment to the person is talking during the video....you can offer up a pile of food equal to the size of your Tortoise shell size and the 10 minute eat or starve method is debatable....:D

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
Most ways to describe how much to feed a tortoise are over-simplified, and the whole issue is more irritating than it should be because we really don't usually have access to 'normal' foods.

In the wild, a tortoise eats till he is full most of the time (or is chased back to shelter by weather or predators, etc.) If he ate a low-energy meal, like grasses, leaves, flowers, etc., he will do it again tomorrow and the next day and the next day. If he eats a high-energy meal, like fruit, carrion, etc., he eats until it is gone, then he will sleep it off- sometimes for more than a week!

(Even that bit is oversimplified- weather/climate/growing seasons, availability, range, competition, etc. also play important roles in the natural diets)

MOST of the foods we offer from the grocery store are higher in energy and they do not have anywhere near as much space to work it off in. So, we need to limit the high-energy foods, like fruits, sweet veggies, meats, prepared/processed foods, etc. but there is no real reason to limit the low-energy foods like greens, flowers, mushrooms, etc.

DixieParadise

5 Year Member
Georgetown, TX
Great looking tort. Would like to see more pictures of your little one. Thanks for sharing.

redfootraider

5 Year Member
ascott said:
Cute little tort...and by the way as a comment to the person is talking during the video....you can offer up a pile of food equal to the size of your Tortoise shell size and the 10 minute eat or starve method is debatable....:D

Yea the person talking is me and well that's just what I heard that is better to starve them than to oversees them so yea but it seems like sometime I forget to take out the rest of the food and he goes out to eat again latter on that day so what ur saying can be true but I guess it could be debatable but I'll stick with this process since my tortoise seems to be doing great thanks for the observation

DixieParadise said:
Great looking tort. Would like to see more pictures of your little one. Thanks for sharing.

Hello and thanks for the compliment for my tortoise and here are two more recent pictures of my tortoise.
The one his eating mango was taken yesterday and the one eating strawberries was taken last week

Attachments

• image-3075080884.png
    image-3075080884.png
    479.6 KB · Views: 19
  • image-4249613060.png
    image-4249613060.png
    467.6 KB · Views: 20
Status
Not open for further replies.