Red Foot - prolapse and red poop

mrsaplatt

Location (City and/or State)
Encino, California
Hello, I have a female red foot tortoise about 5 months old. We have had her for 2 months. Her poop is always a glob. Yesterday she had a large glob poop and I noticed a red bump under her tail. I soaked her in warm water, she has several more loose poops. I kept the prolapse moist with a sugar paste on it. Later that dad it receded. Today her poop had a red blob next to it. Does it look like blood or possible waste from tomato or strawberry? Does the photo of the poop look like I should take her to the vet. Her enclosure is about 75-85 depending on the side she is on, humidity about 70%. I attached photos. Thankful for any input. IMG_4397.jpegIMG_4398.jpegIMG_4399.jpegIMG_4400.jpegIMG_4371.jpegIMG_4370.jpeg

DoubleD1996!

Memphis
Sugar paste was a great idea.

That's odd. Loose stools usually has something to do with diet. What are you feeding?

mrsaplatt

Encino, California
Red & green leaf lettuce, kale, shredded carrot, squash, zucchini, occasional strawberry and tomato, occasional Mazuri Tortoise Diet pellet, and I sprinkle calcium powder 3x a week.

DoubleD1996!

Memphis
Red & green leaf lettuce, kale, shredded carrot, squash, zucchini, occasional strawberry and tomato, occasional Mazuri Tortoise Diet pellet, and I sprinkle calcium powder 3x a week.
Diet sounds good.

I'm sure someone will have better advice than me, but try feeding more dark leafy greens like collard greens, dandelion, spring mix excluding the spinach, and incorporating some safe weeds like thistle.

Since it's happening consistently, it sounds like something your feeding. There's no sure way to tell, you just have to narrow it down. So I'd try those greens for now, keep the diet basic, and see if things change.

Hope I could help.

Reactions: Ink

mrsaplatt

Encino, California
Diet sounds good.

I'm sure someone will have better advice than me, but try feeding more dark leafy greens like collard greens, dandelion, spring mix excluding the spinach, and incorporating some safe weeds like thistle.

Since it's happening consistently, it sounds like something your feeding. There's no sure way to tell, you just have to narrow it down. So I'd try those greens for now, keep the diet basic, and see if things change.

Hope I could help.
Yes, you did. I will mix up the diet. How would I know if she needed vet care?

mrsaplatt

Encino, California
How are you measuring the temperatures?
It looks like incomplete digestion to me. Possibly lack of fiber from bagged grocery store greens.
We use these two on opposite sides of the tank. We haven’t used bagged greens, but we do chop them up for her. I will start adding darker greens to the diet. Any fiber suggestions. I will also add more protein. IMG_4397.jpegIMG_4398.jpeg

mrsaplatt

Encino, California
Hello, I have a female red foot tortoise about 5 months old. We have had her for 2 months. Her poop is always a glob. Yesterday she had a large glob poop and I noticed a red bump under her tail. I soaked her in warm water, she has several more loose poops. I kept the prolapse moist with a sugar paste on it. Later that dad it receded. Today her poop had a red blob next to it. Does it look like blood or possible waste from tomato or strawberry? Does the photo of the poop look like I should take her to the vet. Her enclosure is about 75-85 depending on the side she is on, humidity about 70%. I attached photos. Thankful for any input. View attachment 369210View attachment 369211View attachment 369212View attachment 369213View attachment 369209View attachment 369208
Do you feed any protein? @ZEROPILOT
Update! Feed her mealworm and collard greens. Warm soaks. Beautiful poop today! Thank you all!

mrsaplatt

Encino, California
Make sure that the ambient (all over) temperature is at least 80°.
Between 80 and 86 for digestion.
Do you have access to any Hibiscus plants? Hibiscus leaves are great for fiber.

Update! Feed her mealworm and collard greens. Warm soaks. Beautiful poop today! Thank you all!