Random Question about Cats and indoor Turtles

symplestytches

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Pacific NorthWest, USA
So while perusing the magical land of Pinterest, I came across some pretty cool indoor enclosure ideas for water turtles specifically, but land turtles/tortoises as well.
d2cff20a0cf556163d064e7c9df11f2d.jpg

What is the general consensus of the forum in regards to open topped (no screen or what-not) and having cats? I know my cats would go into the enclosure, and have squeezed into my iterations of my indoor RT enclosure, but do we trust them?

I know I would worry about cat fecal matter making it into the substrate, but is that the only worry?

symplestytches

5 Year Member
Pacific NorthWest, USA
ugh. yeah, that's what I thought. I just read so much about dog attacks, and other outdoor dangers, that the cat ones are rarely seen. so keep with the completely covered top. darn my kitties, if only i could speak cat and make sure they swore never to munch on a'tuin!

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
You can't trust a cat! They think everything that moves is fair game. The cat in that post actually managed to remove a cover.

There is also the fact they may use the enclosure as a litter tray which could be harmful to your torts/turtles - parasites etc.so I think if there are cats around a cover they can't knock off would be essential.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
I've just seen your new outdoor enclosure thread too and I would think the same risks apply for that too.

symplestytches

5 Year Member
Pacific NorthWest, USA
yup, i've got a chicken-wired cover that i'll be latching closed when i'm not there. we have too many hawks, herons, random animals coming by to risk him out there.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Cats least of your problem then!!

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Never trust a cat.
They seem less harmful than dogs, but I would never chance it.
Only needs to happen once.