Quick question for a vet?!

Ruchonnet

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Central Valley, CA
My pitbull is currently very sick and was prescribed cerenia, and doxycycline. do either of these medications cause excessive thirst? Shes drinking quite a lot and im worried.

Flipper

MO, USA
She may be dehydrated. I hope she gets better quickly ;)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
When we give antibiotics to tortoises we encourage lots of soaking because the medications are hard on tortoise's kidneys. This might be the same thing with your doggy. They seem to know what's good for them.

1028762jld543t69m.gif

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
doxycycline

This product states that it causes increased thirst.

This product states it is normally prescribed to stop puking.

I hope your dog is going to be well soon, these are both harsh on an animals system....so keep offering lots of water and lots of potty breaks....

katrvt

5 Year Member
If she is vomiting and drinking a lot of water... Is she intact? If her heat cycle was within 1-2 months ago, she may have a pyometra, which is life threatening..

AnnV

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
SWFL
Do you have any idea what these antiboitics are being used for in your dog's case? Doxy is generally given for fairly specific reasons. Cerenia is more general.
But obviously some sort of infection.
Is your dog keeping everything down? Doxy can not only give them a sick stomach, it can cause liver inflamation. Vomiting (and the often accompanying diarrhea) will cause dehydration which will also cause thirst.
The Doxy should be given with food to help keep it from irritating the gastrointestinal lining.
A few hours after the medication, you might want to give a probiotic powder or capsule. Or at the very least, some yogurt.

Ruchonnet

5 Year Member
Central Valley, CA
I haven't logged on in a few days! I called his office that morning when they opened and he explained the thirst was okay and just a side effect. She is starting to improve drastically. She had some sort of blood born infection and the doctor thinks it set off an auto immune disease. She had stopped eating for about a day before the doctor put her on the cerenia to try and get her to eat even though she never actually threw up. She is done with that now and is still on the doxycycline and prednisone. When we took her in her red blood cell count was only at 14% and she got tested again yesterday and its already improved to 21%!

Ruchonnet

5 Year Member
Central Valley, CA
Just a little update, she went back to the vet for another check up today and her red blood cells are back to normal but her white ones are too high. The doctor says she will probably need to remain on the prednisone for the rest of her to keep the auto immune disease under control.. but for now shes doing good and back to normal!