Questions about Florida BTs

Status
Not open for further replies.

kimber_lee_314

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
So Cal
I have much experience with box turtles (easterns, three toeds, ornates, and guflies) but I am new to Floridas. I've been trying to read specifics about them, but there isn't a whole lot out there on this subspecies. Here are my questions:

1) I have read that it is illegal to keep more than two in captivity? Is this true, and if it is, is it true in all states?

2) Do they hibernate? I was under the impression that they do - but a shorter period like the gulfies - but now I'm reading that they don't.

Anyone who keeps these lovely turtles - will you please help me! :)

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
As of now I don't know of any CA laws regarding the keeping of box turtles (number wise)

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
I don't know anything about the Florida Box Turtles either, but I was wondering if they can hibernate also. As for the Gulf Coast, mine is hibernating now here in NY. My friend in Penn. who has the same weather as we do, if not worse, has a few Gulf Coasts and they all hibernate. I wanted to bring her in, but we had a few days of cold weather and she went down, and it was too late for me to take her in.
I do love the look of the Florida Boxie and always wanted one, but didn't want to have to keep more inside for the Winter, so I'm curious too.

Termite Farmer

5 Year Member
To the best of my understanding, you can have in your collection one animal per individual in your household (same with loggerhead musk and alligator snappers). In my household I have 1.3 that really dont seem to hibernate. They just get inactive when it drops below 50 at night (about 3-4 weeks) during the winter. Know that I'm thinking about it, the animals from the northern range of the state are MIA for longer periods than the locals.
They have proven to be easy feeders (mix chopped raw shrimp with chopped veggies and wet mazuri) and with a minimal H2o area requirement are realitivly maintenance free given my deep south Florida location.

Roxie

5 Year Member
Central FL
According to FL law, you can have two FL box turtles in your possession. It is illegal to buy them or sell them. I'm sure it varies from state to state.

I have 6-7yo FL boxie that has never hibernated, but she has been kept indoors until I moved her outside this past summer. So far she has dug a little shallow depression under some tall grass to sleep in. She has two shelters as well. She slept in one for a few days when we had a cold front, but hasn't returned to it. She also wants to eat again. I'm just keeping an eye on her on a daily basis. Like you, I've read that they do and do not hibernate. Here in Central FL, we don't get the really cold weather until Jan/Feb, and that is only periodically....50's one day, 70's and 80's two days later.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Since you're in California, there are no laws governing your box turtles. I have several Floridas and they hibernate just fine here in Central California. I have two adult males that hatched in the ground here about 15 years ago. They have hibernated every winter since then. I also have a few hatchling to yearling that I bought from a member here on the forum. They haven't hibernated yet. I don't allow the babies to hibernate until they're about 3 years old.

Status
Not open for further replies.